My inspiration

Old 02-01-2012, 09:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My inspiration

A couple of hours away from me, a pair of eagle's are nesting again. Their nest is huge, though they've had to rebuild it a few times, and they've been nesting there several years now. I paid attention to them last year, from egg laying to hatching, to teaching their offspring to fly and hunt, to building their own home. How to survive on their own.

Juveniles are not allowed back in the nest once they fly, instead they hang around close by and the parents minimally provide for them until they've learned. They have until winter to get it right. Their parents won't be available after that; they'll be too busy nesting again.

The momma eagle laid an egg a few days ago, and today she chased off another juvenile eagle. It's probably one of hers from the last 3-4 years, because no other eagles are within about a 50 mile radius of this area.

They remind me winter will eventually come for my daughter and I, and we only have now while we're both thankfully willing and able.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I love eagles and your analogy makes me smile.

Indeed, there is a time to protect and teach, and then the time comes to let them fly on their own even if they don't want to.

Your daughter is a lucky lady to have such a wise and loving mom.

Hugs