Help With Obessive Dreams

Old 02-01-2012, 10:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help With Obessive Dreams

Hi everyone!

I haven't posted in a few weeks, but I'm back with a question. Like before, I have good days and bad days about the breakup with my AXBF. One thing that is troublesome though is that I have CONSTANT dreams about him! Some we get back together, some we break up all over again....but really they are all terrible. Often I'll wake up feeling sad and depressed. It is reall frustrating. Do any of you experienced this situation and perhaps have some advice to offer?

Thanks for reading!
Brittany
Old 02-01-2012, 10:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am going through this now, too! I barely dreamt of him when we were together and now about 2 months after we break up, I dream about him often. Mine take on all different forms, but in a lot of them I am sooooo angry at him and I am trying to express this and words will not come out. I think it is just our subconcious trying to work it all out is all.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
Originally Posted by brit1413 View Post
Hi everyone!

I haven't posted in a few weeks, but I'm back with a question. Like before, I have good days and bad days about the breakup with my AXBF. One thing that is troublesome though is that I have CONSTANT dreams about him! Some we get back together, some we break up all over again....but really they are all terrible. Often I'll wake up feeling sad and depressed. It is reall frustrating. Do any of you experienced this situation and perhaps have some advice to offer?

Thanks for reading!
Brittany
Wow...this is a loaded topic.

I tend to have dreams when there's unfinished business with the other party. In my most recent example, I haven't had a single dream about her. Before her, though, I'd have some distressing dreams about someone I dearly loved. Not this go-round, though. Probably because that door with my AXGF is closed, locked, and will never be reopened.

Dreams are what they are, and when we're under stress or emotionally upset, I don't think it's unusual to dream about whatever it is is going on with us. It is what it is, Brittany. Unfortunately, we have to sit with feelings that we don't necessarily want to sit with. But you know what? I'd rather sit with those feelings, or dream about my AXGF, than actually be with her.

ZoSo
Old 02-01-2012, 09:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's been a month since I left RExAB and I've had those horrible dreams as well. My Thearpist says for what it's worth...it's PTSD post traumatic stress disorder. Obviously I can't speak for any of you but many if these arguments were loud, mean, scary, came our of no where, and in some cases physically intimidating (getting in my personal space, throwing things, ripping shirt off).

These are scary and cement in your brain. Very normal to process difficult emotions though dreams and healthy.

Give yourself permission to take care of yourself and nurture you mind, body, soul as it has been neglected for awhile perhaps your entire life.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the responses! It is good to know that I'm not the only one that is experiencing these sort of obsessive dreams. I think I am going to go talk to a therapist though...I mean, I get free services on campus, so why not!

Best wishes everyone!
Brittany