Extremely emotional day...

Old 01-27-2012, 06:45 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for the support! It is greatly appreciated.

AD called me late Wednesday, and got here yesterday mid-afternoon. She had a lot more stuff than I had anticipated, but she got put away what she could, and she has an entire day's project cleaning up the second story bedroom (the second story is one big room with my old waterbed up there). She will be hauling all the rest of the stuff up there once it is cleaned.

Amber called me early evening and said that one of the horses cut his leg pretty bad, and she was working later than usual. The couple and their two older kids were out of town to a school function, and she needed me to watch the two younger ones while she ran to get vet supplies. (Her horses are right there where she nannies-she started renting their pasture 2 years ago). It was nice to get out of the house so AD could continue her organizing, and it was delightful to spend time with little ones. Max is 6 months old, and a happy little chap. Olivia is almost 3 and we had a song-fest while I was there.

The grandkids are coming to spend the night tonight and I'm excited because I haven't seen them since Thanksgiving. I've got an Alanon meeting at 6:30 tonight and then I'll be home the rest of the evening.

I slept good last night, and am feeling pretty good all the way around today. AD has her big cleaning project to keep her busy (and I have many more lined up too-she will earn her lodging). I have plenty of my own stuff to do too.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:19 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Just sending more mom-support for you! One can never have enough!!

((((Hugs)))) and prayers for all concerned.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:13 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Good. Hope she signed 'the contract' and it is posted on the Refrigerator, lol

Just remember, she might be contrite for a day, or two, or three, but the 'arrogant, entitled addict will return, unfortunately. Keep the computer locked, lol

Glad you have a meeting tonight!!!!!

Love and hugs,
Old 01-27-2012, 01:38 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by laurie6781 View Post
Just remember, she might be contrite for a day, or two, or three, but the 'arrogant, entitled addict will return, unfortunately. Keep the computer locked, lol
I am fully prepared for that...lol. Every time I walk out of my computer room, I log out on the computer so she can't access anything.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:51 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
cmc

DeVon,
As I read your posts and all the responses one thought kept coming to mind. It was that phrase from the opening reading in Al-Anon:
The family situation is bound to improve as we apply the Al-Anon ideas.
This is my hope & prayer for you and your family. I know you are doing your part and hope that this time your daughter will too. ((( DeVon )))
Old 01-27-2012, 07:04 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Fantastic Alanon tonight with three, yes three newcomers (from the same family). Our group is very tiny, so it was exciting, and they all will be attending regularly!

When I left, both of the grandkids and AD were upstairs cleaning like crazy. When I got home, my dumpster was full, and all of her stuff was already upstairs. The bad news is the waterbed has a few pinholes, but I did have the repair stuff on hand, so that's drying now.

It's been a really good day today. Looking forward to watching Amber run barrels on Sonny tomorrow. I'll take the grandkids back home later in the day. Then the dogs can all calm back down. It's been a circus the last two days.

Forgot to add I have a very nasty bladder infection (saw the doc today) and have maintained a positive attitude in spite of.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:42 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I'm glad things are going so well, and what CMC posted reminds me that with the lessons of Al-anon under our belts, the good days get gooder (I love that word) and the bad days are never the horror shows they once were.

We have made it this far, past the dark forest of fear to a life filled with light, and we'll make it the rest of the way no matter what. And we'll make it together because it's all way to good not to share.

Mama sized hugs
Old 04-17-2012, 12:49 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

First time on this site. Have a son who just got out of rehab in the house with us and I'm experiencing lots of anxiety.

It's nice to read you post. Dealing with all this wasn't in the parenting hadbook I received 21 years ago. Ugh!
Old 04-18-2012, 11:47 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hopeandlife View Post
First time on this site. Have a son who just got out of rehab in the house with us and I'm experiencing lots of anxiety.

It's nice to read you post. Dealing with all this wasn't in the parenting hadbook I received 21 years ago. Ugh!
Welcome to SR, Hopeandlife!

Please feel free to post, vent, and ask questions if you need to.

You have landed among folks who understand.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:12 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Thank you, it's nice to have folks to talk to who understand where you are coming from.

I think I've finally figured out that I'm in recovery too. I think I had some high expectations of what a child returning from a 90 day recovery program would act like.

I'm very happy to see him healthy (30 lbs heavier) and drug free. But, I think he still has a long journey ahead of him. He's attended meetings 6 of the 7 days he's been home. I know it's just a beginning and I am starting to coupe with him in the house. Just very different now.

I find myself wanting to "take his temperature" every time I see him. I try to covertly look at his pupils, listen for slured speech, watching how quickly he can wake up from a nap, etc, etc, etc. Not sure this urge truly will ever go away. Just hoping we can eventually get into a normal routin.

I'm trying to let his recovery be his. I know that I didn't cause it, can't control it and can't cure it, but we did lay down some rules that about repspect, consideration and drug free lifestyle in our home.

He's taking things one step at a time.... seriously one at a time.... drives me nuts! I'm ready for him to get into a daily routin, meaning a job. Low stress, but a job. Minimum wage is fine, but he has some bills and I'm holding fast to not paying them. Driving me nuts, cause I'm a fixer and I've put my tool kit away. His credit, his school, his bills are his problems. Doesn't stop me from going nuts....
Old 04-18-2012, 01:33 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I hope you will consider attending Alanon or Naranon for face-to-face support among those who understand. Alanon tends to be more widely available, and is what I attend weekly.

See if you can get your hands on "Codependent No More" by Melody Beattie. You can get used copies cheap on amazon. I refer to it often.

There are some excellent "sticky" topics at the top of this forum to further educate yourself on addiction.

You are not alone in your journey as your son seeks recovery.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:52 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

i am saying prayers for you & your daughter. i know u will keep us posted on how u r doing. i know your recovery is strong. hugs,
Old 04-19-2012, 06:27 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Thank you Freedom1990. My husband and I have talked and agreed that we will go to alanon or naranon. We will have to go to alanon initally because there isn't a naranon program avaliable close to us. But, I was encouraged to find out that there is a new naranon meeting starting in May about 30 min away.

I think my husband and I might start using the meetings as our "date night". LOL.