Good & Bad Days/ Movies That Might Help

Old 12-27-2011, 03:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Good & Bad Days/ Movies That Might Help

Today has gone better than yesterday. "Some days are better than others" I've always thought that was true but never really took it to heart or know exactly what it meant. When I woke up today I thought my day was going to be just like yesterday, but I was wrong. Its been good and I need to remind myself that some days are better than others.

I'd like to share something with everyone if that's ok.....
I've always been a movie geek. I'm into almost all genres of movies and I thought...why not share movies that have helped me in some way with SR?

-Rachael Getting Married
-The Basketball Diaries
-Arthur (2011 remake)
-Trainspotting
-Get Him To The Greek
-Traffic
-The Fighter
-Acts Of Worship
-Thirteen
-GIA
-Spun
-28 Days
and of course Requiem For A Dream

Some of these movies are comedies, some are more serious with funny moments, and some are just serious. But these are just a few movies that I wanted to share and maybe some will help you.

If you have seen or have already seen any of these, I always enjoy hearing what others have taken from them.

-Panda
Old 12-27-2011, 03:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I haven't seen any of those movies, but I'll check them out. I like to watch old movies with actors like Cary Grant. I also like to watch documentaries. There is one called Babies which follows four babies from around the world in their first year. It's a cheery movie. I also like to watch old SNL episodes (70's and 80's) and WB cartoons.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Requiem for a Dream is one of the most disturbing films I have ever seen. There are scenes in that film that are lodged in my brain still and it has been over 10 years. Please be careful recommending such awful films to people who may be in crisis. Seriously. That film is wretched.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

and just FYI i have a fine arts degree in film and am by no means... whatsoever... a lightweight when it comes to film. there are just some that I draw the line on.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Rachel Getting Married? awesome.
very realistic and insightful story dealing with the addict and the family...
loved loved loved it.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My husband and I just watched "The Fighter" yesterday. Christian Bale was amazing. The whole cast did a great job of characterizing the New York Irish Catholic disfunctional family but Bale's portrayal of an addict was stellar. The gaunt appearance and mannerisms were very believable.

For me, listening to music is my relief from too much thinking. It can carry me away to another place and bring me peace.

Thanks for sharing!

gentle hugs
ke
Old 12-27-2011, 04:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

lesliej, yes Requiem is disturbing. Just wanted to share a few movie recommendations and that was one that just popped up. I apologize if you were offended by it, I don't ever intend to do that especially here.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm going to check out the Rachel Getting Married.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Again, I never intended for this to offend anyone. I just wanted to share how some of these movies, depressing and funny, have helped me.

I don't want anyone to wallow in a depressing movie. I've always taken something away from the sadder films.

Again, I apologize if you were offended.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I can't watch movies about substance abuse, just upsets me too much. A relative of mine was in the fighter and I still haven't seen the whole movie...shut it off during the first crack house scene. Hopefully I'll be able to watch it someday but for now it just makes me sad. I'll stick to Adam Sandler and other silly movies for now!!
Old 12-27-2011, 09:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Panda, I don't think you need to worry about offending anyone...your post just acted as a little catalyst for some discussion.

One more consideration to remember is this...for addicts a film can be a trigger. I know that for some recovering crack addicts I have spoken with told me that even the snap of a lighter lighting, or even a cigarette sometimes sparks a memory. Scenes in films can be really intense. Of course it depends on the addict and their program and time away...but just wanted to add this insight. I know that when I watched The Fighter with my ex the crack scenes were way too intense and it scared me (I know Codie!) that he was having it in his face when he had only a few months away from such an insanely addictive substance.

Please don't feel guilt Panda...just posts for continuing the conversation and gaining perspective!!
Old 12-27-2011, 09:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

... and stay away from Permanent Midnight... don't let the fact that Ben Stiller is the main character throw you off... beware.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

Panda
not at all offended by your post - but I have to agree with some of the others - I don't watch movies that have intense drug use /addict behavior themes in them ~

Still very uncomfortable to me ~ some of it I think is because even now I'm finding out things that my exah lied to me about and I believed him ~ will see something in a movie or see the same behavior in someone else and go . . . uh duh that's what he was doing!
lol

But I also don't like scary movies either - my life married to an addict was frightening enough ~ why do I want to pay money to be scared by a movie???? ha ha ha ha

I'll stick with a good old fashion comedy or my very favorite movie "It's a Wonderful Life"

boring but I like boring (compared to where I have been - it's a wonderful place!)

PINK HUGS,
Rita
Old 12-28-2011, 01:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The range, frivolous, superficial, glorifying to dark with a common theme being substance abuse..... How did these movies help you?
Old 12-28-2011, 07:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Present

well it's good of you to supply the subject matter of some of these so we can make our own choices based on our own preferences.

I, too, enjoyed Rachel Getting Married. It was very heavily profound when we, as the audience, learned of the irreversible damage Rachel's sister's disease had done in the past. Her having to check in and get tested and go to meetings on her trip to Rachel's wedding really spoke to me of aspects of recovery.

Also, that was the first place I heard the line, "One drink is too many. A thousand is never enough." That also was very profound to me.

I got a lot out of 28 Days, and Clean and Sober, as recovery movies.

And when I really want to feel good, I pop in Mamma Mia.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

as i type this i'm watching the movie Drunks

the whole movie takes place in an AA meeting in a times square church basement. It's feeling good to watch it b/c of all the familiar language, the humor, the shares, the plot etc.

It's got a great cast; faye dunaway, richard lewis, parker posey, amanda plummer, tons more

Drunks (1995) - IMDb

I know it's not a pick-me-up but it's totally helpful to me right now for whatever reason. I remember watching this before i was in the rooms and i didn't actually get it the way i understand it now.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:01 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Went on a movie rampage over the holidays....
Feel good movie? I loved Ondine w/ Colin Farrel.
I needed it after watching several dark/emotional films.
28 Days with Sandy Bollock I still love...found it really uplifting, unlike most all the other movies listed above. Seen them all...but gotta say that one produced by (whathisname thinking thinking thinking). Crap...the guy who did the face reading tv series?>
HA! Tim Roth. Anywho, he did a movie (didn't star in it) that was way darker than Reqium, Trainspotting. I believe I am scarred forever. Notice I am not naming it?
Yep.

So if you have Netflicks, Ondine is on streaming. It's sweet and funny has action, a bit o love, a little girl who is adorable, and again...COLIN FARREL! ;-)
Old 12-30-2011, 12:28 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Ondine? I'll check that out.

I also can't watch the movies with lots of substance abuse. It brings back bad memories for me. However, I appreciate you starting this thread. I think there are a lot of movies that can help us when we are feeling bad.

I love movies, but have been sticking mainly with comedies lately.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:29 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Present

Defending Your Life (1991) - IMDb

Defending Your Life.

Makes me hungry for an omelet. It is a feel-good movie. The plot is summarized near the bottom of the IMDB page. Funny. Albert Brooks and Meryl Streep with Rip Torn.