Clear Thinking - Language of Letting Go

Old 12-14-2011, 12:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Clear Thinking - Language of Letting Go

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Clear Thinking

Strive for clear thinking. Many of us have had our thinking clouded by denial. Some of us have even lost faith in ourselves because we've spent a degree of time in denial. But losing faith in our thinking isn't going to help us. What we need to lose faith in is denial.

We didn't resort to denial - either of someone else's problem or our own - because we were deficient. Denial, the shock absorber for the soul, protects us until we are equipped to cope with reality.

Clear thinking and recovery don't mean we will never resort to denial. Denial is the first step toward acceptance, and for most of our life, we will be striving to accept something.

Clear thinking means we don't allow ourselves to become immersed in negativity or unrealistic expectations. We stay connected to other recovering people. We go to our meetings, where peace of mind and realistic support are available. We work the Steps, pray, and meditate.

We keep our thinking on track by asking our Higher Power to help us think clearly - not by expecting Him, or someone else, to do our thinking for us.

Today, I will strive for balanced, clear thought in all areas of my life.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

By the time I realized that my thinking was all screwed up, I didn't have any idea how to clear my mind.

Through recovery I learned to take quiet moments, to distract myself from "stinking thinking" or worry, and to sometimes just open my mind and listen...to nature, to God, and to those who had gone before me in recovery.

Today when my mind goes to dark places, I recognize that and take pause long enough to catch my balance again.

Hugs