Rehab

Old 12-10-2011, 05:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rehab

Hi there , been a while since ive come here ive been lost in my own world,
alot of hard times , my son has been struggling with addiction for a while now, at one point he tried suboxone was clean for a while but relapsed, and so where are we at now?, he is in an inpatient rehab the first time he will get the help he really needs not just meds, but therapy . honestly I dont think he was ready for rehab, he did admit he needed it, said he wanted to get clean but then would turn around and say he could do it all on his own , to say that i didnt push him a bit would be a lie to go because I could not live with him for one more day. I cannot begin to tell you how relived I am that i can sleep and laugh and finally breath . It came to the point that I plainly told him i cant change you , but I also cannot live watching you, im offering you help he took it , althoug reluctantly so what does that mean, will rehab even help him??, honestly ive let go of that part, its up to him i did tell him that I will be there for him only when he had decided he wants to live clean.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

As you said, "it's up to him".

Rehab can teach highly motivated addicts some of the tools of recovery. That's the easy part. Using those tools in real life , post rehab, is the hard part.

Back when, I made the mistake of bringing my daughter home after 3 back to back stints in rehab. She relapsed within hours. In a matter of hours, I was back on the crazy train.

The rehab facility can and will help locate a sober living enviornment. The better ones require guests to become employed and/or back in school rather quickly and to become responsible for the cost of the living enviornment. They will hold your son responsible for his own sobriety. It's up to him to work it or not. Better there than in your home.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
TMZ

Hay you did the best you could do. He did go witch is good hopefully he will pick up something from it, even if he really don't want to be there. They will give him the tools to work on it himself, were just to close for them to listen to us. Besides it's not a lock down thing he could always just walk out. Now it's up to god and him.

You did good! He has to do this with out your help.
My prayers are with you.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

just a quick update and maybe get some answers,

son one week in rehab so far the new medication is seroquel , which i looked up and is used for bipolar disorder,among other things, he told me a little about the psych appt and what they talked about said he might have biolar disorder i can tell it was hard for him to admit that , my son has not given consent so that the doctors can talk to me he says its his privacy, has anyone ever been given this kind of medication in rehab? should i be concerned how safe it is ? any help would be appreciated
Old 12-15-2011, 05:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

(((lonelystar))) - My only experience with seroquel is that I take it for sleep, something I've been unable to do (without it) since the last robbery at work, a couple years ago (PTSD). It is not designed for sleep, but it is frequently used for that.

He's under a doctor's care, and I understand you are concerned, but this is one of those things I think you probably need to leave to the professionals. Are they always right? No, but a lot of times they are.

I'm glad he's in rehab. For most of us A's it takes a while, even when we have the recovery tools. I didn't go to rehab, but did treatment, meetings, etc. and had the tools, I just didn't use them. I still am grateful I HAD the tools when I was ready. He may get it this time, we can always pray.

Now that he's safe, maybe you could use this time to focus on you. I know a lot of moms and dads here don't do that, out of concern for their kids, but you really do deserve it. I've spent the majority of my life focused on the people I love, but when I realized that me worrying didn't do any good, it was rather freeing.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 12-15-2011, 08:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Lonelystar, my 21 yo AS is in rehab, a very strict one that prohibits a lot of time with the family except under supervised visits. His story is different, read some of my earlier posts to get the full drift . Bottom line: I am NOT able to help him by loving him and giving him a roof. He is now 21 and for the first time in his life, he has to survive without his Momma and is Grandma enabling. I have a lot of faith in his core, he is very smart and very able to make something of himself without my help. I also heard the bipolar thing, but this rehab is about behavioral awareness and self control, the name is CRASH, standing for community resources and Self Help. For me, the way I cope is knowing he is in a program that is structured, strict and full of like minded people (many who had been in jail as a consequence of their actions). I have seen him twice, he looks great and has that twinkle and confidence back. Now it is entirely up to him. Hugs and best wishes that YOU now can be YOU in your own home Happy Holidays.
Teresa
Old 12-15-2011, 09:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

the bi polar thing is a little tricky.
they do present in a similar way and without some solid clean time proper diagnosis can be difficult...
but on the other hand it is true that a lot of people with un-diagnosed bi polar end up self medicating with drugs such as crack.

then the recovery becomes difficult because of the dual diagnosis
a lot of catch 22 going on
time is needed...
in the interim I hope the pros know what they're up to.
my ex ABF was on meds for his BP but I found it frustrating that he wouldn't get himself enough time clean to level out the brain chemistry...