feeling all alone

Old 12-08-2011, 03:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
it is what it is

feeling all alone

i have looked and looked for some meeting to go to - i found one that took me an hour to drive to and it was not a good fit - there is another on Sunday nights at 8:00 an hour and half away - would be really late getting in on Sunday then have to get up early Monday - where can i go? i don't understand why meetings are so scarce here - it certainly is not because there are no drug issues! i'm beginning to really feel alone - i have some really great friends - but sometimes the very fact they don't have these same issues creates a loneliness
Old 12-08-2011, 03:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((Litehorse))) - I'm sorry you're feeling lonely. I know you've already checked, but I will see what meeting dad went to, a couple of times. I think it was held on Friday nights. You're right about the drug problem around here, but I just don't know much about the meetings.

I think the holidays make things worse, as far as the lonely feeling goes. I'm just trying to finish up this semester, but you can call me any time. One more week, and I'll call you and see if we can get together. It's not a meeting, but maybe we can put our heads together and find something that helps.

Big hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 12-08-2011, 03:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am VERY new here and so don't have the wisdom and experience of many members. I am sure someone will be along soon with better advice than I can give. My only thought is that I have heard people mention on-line and phone meetings...don't know much about either of these options, and I know it's not the same as face-to-face meetings, but maybe better than nothing? I have also started emailing with a couple of other mothers of drug users, and have found that to be supportive.

I am sorry that you are feeling so alone in this. I hope that you will be able to find the support you need, someway somehow. This is too hard to do without help.

Hang in there.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think it is like anyone else that really wants help with addiction--- whether co-dependency or drugs-- You sacrifice and loose a couple hours sleep to get to the Sunday meeting or not-- You know what you can do better then I would. I hope you know you have Friends here

I know I have lost more sleep dealing with the addict then staying up a little late for meetings, but that is me.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know the Naranon website has info and a kit on starting your own meeting too. That may seem a little scary, but it sure would be a great way to bring recovery closer to your area and meet people you can relate to. it doesn't hurt to check out the info.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

there is always the option of starting a meeting. seriously.
I am spoiled because I live in recovery central.
however, I still use the online forum for off times...and have started checking into online live meetings which is kind of nice to have the live meetings when I am home alone...
Old 12-09-2011, 06:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Echoing what Lesliej said. What does it take to start a new chapter of your own? That would be a nice project to sink your teeth into (if you *need* a new project, that is!). Seems like first thing would be to find a meeting space -- check with local churches, etc. Then the word gets around via announcements at area meetings, right? Wow! What a great service project!
Old 12-09-2011, 06:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
it is what it is

i have actually thought of starting a group in my town - i think surely if i 'm feeling this way then others are also - you're right i should just get busy