Abused my brother and pills-HELP

Old 12-07-2011, 06:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Abused my brother and pills-HELP

It's time in my recovery/steps that I make a list of those I've hurt and make amends.#1 on my list is my little brother. We were really close. He needed oral surgery and got Percocerts which I stole and they were my first taste of opiate narcotics, because they were his pillshe believes my addiction to be his fault! Then I made his life hell for 3 weeks forcing him not to tell anyone, and when he told our parents I said the worst things I've ever said to anyone in my life, then I stopped speaking to him.
He saved my life. He's just a kid starting high school. And even though I'm 6 years older he was more mature!
I was expecting to see him when my family visited instead I got a letter in which he apologized to me! and expressed his guilt.
I know what I need to say to him (mostly). But what do I do? How do I make this up to him?
I feel so bad
What doI do?
Old 12-07-2011, 08:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

But what do I do? How do I make this up to him?
I feel so bad
What doI do?

Use this to be serious about your recovery and do everything you can to make it a permanent success story. Even when you think it may not apply to you or you know better, do what is right to complete this recovery.

Then thank him for the motivation to recover and stay straight.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Can you also set your parents straight about the whole incident?
Old 12-10-2011, 01:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you. I've tried to set things right with him, but I'm not sure this is the forum for me, someone suggested that I send my brother here to straighten him out.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That is a good suggestion, as would encouraging him to look in to naranon. Many of us, for direct or indirect reason, struggle with feeling like the addiction of a family member was our fault. Introducing him to communities of support and literature that will help him understand that is not the case -- we didn't cause it, we can't control it, and we can't cure it -- would probably be very helpful for him. I wouldn't focus on "making it up to him". I would focus on being honest with him -- hearing you tell him that you take responsibility for your addiction is huge! Don't get wrapped up in the details -- reaching out and saying anything to him about it will be a huge start. Good luck and best wishes in your recovery.