A.A. meetings just don't seem right (to me)

Old 11-29-2011, 08:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A.A. meetings just don't seem right (to me)

Before my wife went into rehab this time I went to a few meetings with her. Not only did I see a good portion of the people there drunk/drinking. But I noticed a lot of people trying to hook up in a sexual/dating way.

I said something to my wife, she confirmed. She told me many men approached her, rubbed her leg etc. I asked why she didn't stop them, her response was it's harmless.

Really? I believe those meetings are supposed to encourage sobriety, not a love (or whatever) connection. Is she just going to the wrong meetings, or is this the norm?
Old 11-29-2011, 08:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That IS wrong and not typical of AA. Are there any other AA meetings/groups? There are a ton of good ones out there, its a shame this is what you experienced.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

NOT the norm for sure .... she should find a new meeting.

Are you attending Alanon for YOUR recovery?
Old 11-29-2011, 09:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PaperDolls View Post
NOT the norm for sure .... she should find a new meeting.

Are you attending Alanon for YOUR recovery?

I actually did go a few times. It wound up being a small group of women. I didn't like it much, it was very depresing.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cynical one View Post
I would suggest that she try either a beginners meeting or a women’s meeting. Both can be found at the Babcock Presbyterian Church down on Loch Raven.

I'm guessing you're from my area. Have you experienced this type of behavior? I can't believe it's isolated to this one meeting.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Been going to meetings for 7 years and have never experienced anyone "rubbing my leg" or seen anyone openly drinking! Try another meeting please!!

I went into AA pretty young and ya, there were guys with time creeping on me but I stuck with the women and male oldtimers who were vouched for by women.

As for the drunk drinking, I've seen many many people f-d up at meetings over the year, but they can keep coming back until they get it. Only req for membership is the desire to stop... This is still relatively rare however...
Old 11-29-2011, 11:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wow. That is weird. Yeah, she should find another meeting. Certain meetings tend to have certain creeps.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

It is never appropriate for anyone to rub someone's leg. And for most, it's not harmless.

You wife will have to decide of this is the right meeting for her, but I know there will be many other options available if she wants to change meetings.

I hope you find some Al-anon meetings for you, those meetings have helped many of us find our balance again.

Hugs