SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Substance Abusers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/)
-   -   First Al-Anon Meeting ? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/242147-first-al-anon-meeting.html)

kay11 11-27-2011 11:51 PM

First Al-Anon Meeting ?

My question is should I attend my first Al-anon meeting by myself or should I bring a friend? My therapist says I should go alone but I am very nervous, but at the same time there are some parts of my relationship with my boyfriend (the addict) that I don't really want to share with say a good friend or my mom.

OwlFeathers 11-28-2011 03:30 AM

If you don't want to share some parts of the relationship with your friend or mom, then go alone.

Seren 11-28-2011 03:32 AM

Perhaps someone could come with you to the meeting site but wait outside for you until the meeting is over? That way you could have the moral support but still be able to speak freely as needed.......

TMZ 11-28-2011 06:51 AM

I was scared to go alone and missed a few meetings. Finally I went on my own and it wasn't bad at all. I felt so welcomed ! It was like I found the place I needed. They all understood what I was feeling and going through. I am a regular at the meetings now.

Go you will be glad you did!

MsPINKAcres 11-28-2011 08:28 AM

It is tough to walk in the room alone - but I truly believe you will be glad you did!

I did 7 yrs ago this past September and it truly saved my life!!!

Remember everyone of those people understand how you feel - they have been a newcomer once too - Just walk in and relax - you don't have to do anything you aren't ready to do!

PINK HUGS & let us know how it goes!!

Rita

Ann 11-28-2011 09:39 AM

I walked into my first meeting alone, burst into tears and never stopped crying for three meetings...but I knew I was "home", I knew these strangers were my friends, and I felt the hugs and accepted the tissues and felt relief that I could finally just let it all go.

Do whatever makes you most comfortable. Alone or with a friend are both totally acceptable. Just don't be afraid because there is nothing to fear in those rooms, just peace and love and serenity waiting to happen.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Hugs

kay11 11-28-2011 10:14 PM

Just wanted to update everyone, I did find the courage tonight to attend an all women's al-anon meeting and alone too! I'm relieved to say it's probably the best decision I've made in this whole experience. Everyone was so welcoming and even happy to be there. I'm very excited to start my new journey through al-anon and relieved to know there are people who care and understand.

Thanks for all the loving suggestions and comments (:

- Kay

lesliej 11-28-2011 11:41 PM

I think what continues to amaze me as I explore al anon (only a few months in now) is that there are so many grounded, smart, happy people attending...wanting to take care of themselves and live life to the fullest. I guess maybe I expected a bunch of control freak mopers! What a gift of sanity the fellowship is, what a peace creating guideline for life. So glad you went...as they say "keep coming back!"

MsPINKAcres 11-29-2011 05:19 AM

((Kay))

congratulations! So glad you took that first step toward working on you!!

thanks for letting us know how it went!

PINK HUGS,
Rita