Home Drug Tests

Old 11-25-2011, 07:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Home Drug Tests

Hi, I have a son that has been an addict for years and has moved back in with us. He is in a program now and swears he is clean. However, all his "flags" seem to be running up his flag pole again.
We have talked to him about things a couple times lately and his response is "If you think I'm using, Give me a test." We gave him one a couple weeks ago and he passed. It is almost as if he insists that we keep giving him one, witch is odd in itself. In the past weather he was using or not he fought us tooth and nail about taking them.
We are wondering know if he has found a way to beat the home drug tests?? Is this posible? Are there some tests that might be better than others?

Thanks in advance
Old 11-25-2011, 07:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

The only comment I have is, if your GUT tells you he is using again, chances are, he is.

And drug addicts are so resourceful.

I have been scammed by both
of my addict sons so many times, I can't count them.

Welcome to Sober Recovery...glad you found us.
Others will be along shortly.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome! Glad you're here but sorry for the reason you had to find us. It is absurdly easy to beat a home drug test. For most addicts they are basically a joke, sorry to say Does his program test him? He may even be beating those, but you could always ask him to sign a release that would allow the program to tell you the results of the tests there (granted he can rescind that at any time). Trust your instincts!
Old 11-25-2011, 07:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

There are at least a million ways to game a typical urine or saliva drug test and not all tests, test for all substances. Hair testing is the most accurate and most costly.

I have, over time, done a complete about face on the topic of home testing.
It's humiliating for all parties involved.

Is your son employed full time, paying his bills and paying for his own room and board? Does he have a license? A paid for car? Pay for his own car insurance? Cell phone? In other words, is he taking responsibility for himself?
Old 11-25-2011, 09:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by outtolunch View Post
Is your son employed full time, paying his bills and paying for his own room and board? Does he have a license? A paid for car? Pay for his own car insurance? Cell phone? In other words, is he taking responsibility for himself?
Basically, the answer is no. He has a job but either his soon to be ex-wife or mother have to handle his money.

I have snooped around the net and have found things called cleansers. They all say they work but you need to know you are going to get tested and then have a window of a few hours where they work. Are there other ways to fool "random" tests?
Old 11-25-2011, 02:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

For every test that is introduced, there is a way an addict can cheat. They all share the "How To's".

What is the reason he needs to live with you in the first place? He is an adult...right?

You do not need to prove anything, just ask him to leave.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I just read a novel where the AD put bleach in her urine for months and outwitted her parent's drug tests. I don't know if it is true or not but addicts are pretty crafty.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Present

The Whizzinator is now illegal and no longer easily obtained - it's not being manufactured any more that I've been able to find - last I looked, which was several months ago. (I, too, had the question about being able to fool a drug test) In my experience, when an addict starts getting on the "test me" bandwagon, it's because they've found a way to cheat the test. Are you using the same test as before and is he aware that it is the same test? - if so, I'd say, there's your answer; he knows which test to expect and has found a way to cheat it.

It is expensive to get a better test or to schedule one at one of those hospitals that does drug testing for employers. I'd say next time he says "give me a drug test," you already have a place in mind and drive him there immediately, if you are up to the expense. If you go this route and choose a place, talk with them first, explain your situation and get their advice on which test to use.

Nowadays, they can test for up to NINETY DAYS!!! of use!!! as I saw last week in a Celebrity Rehab recap of Season 1.

I know also that they can very easily detect attempts to 'scam' the test.

And if this is not an option you are ready to choose, then I'd go with Mooselips:
Originally Posted by mooselips View Post
The only comment I have is, if your GUT tells you he is using again, chances are, he is.

And drug addicts are so resourceful.

I have been scammed by both
of my addict sons so many times, I can't count them.

Welcome to Sober Recovery...glad you found us.
Others will be along shortly.
Best wishes...
Old 11-26-2011, 04:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
it is what it is

i totally agree with outtolunch - our job is not to be a the program director or the warden - our job is expect our grown children to make responsible decisions for their life and bring blessings into their lives and ours - if they do not do that then they need to experience the consequences of their poor choices - i spent my time trying to monitor my adult son - it didn't help him and it certainly did nothing positive for me -
Old 11-26-2011, 08:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The reason a hair test is superior is that - if the hair is long enough - the past 90 days is stores in the follicle. I would suggest maybe the next time it is brought up, you say, "listen I don't want to keep having you drop a UA; it's unbecoming. But, there is a broken trust issue, something that each of wants to put behind us in the worst way. Only time and rebuilding trust will accomplish that. Let's do one periodically, but let's wait and not talk about it for awhile."

In another month, send a lock of hair into a lab and wait and week to find out what drugs - and practically all are tested - then put it to rest once and for all.

I happen to be an advocate for limited testing, but only if the person is willing, and under the most respectful circumstances you can create.

Yes, it's a bit humiliating. But so is going to jail, or od'ing in an alley. It is something that (perhaps) their choices have led them to.

If they are using, this angst will end soon. If they are not, and they are recovering, it will as well.