running out of titles for threads

Old 12-12-2011, 01:00 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

LOVE the tribal drums!! Thanks for reminding me, Steve!
Old 12-12-2011, 05:52 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Steve, when you say Indian Flutes, do you mean India or Native American? We have four NA flutes.... love to play. Am not stage worthy or anything
Old 12-12-2011, 06:48 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

There are many many other women and men on here have shown grace and love towards others. I listed some that came to the top of my head. I too believe in sharing all ideas and thoughts... but yes, of course it is obvious from reading my recent posts, that I am not a fan of bullying tactics. Telling it like it is, does not have to be delivered in a harsh or sarcastic manner or making the person who is in the depths of their inner hell to feel even worse than they do...

that was/is what I'm trying to say. I think we all beat ourselves up enough as it is. ;(
Old 12-12-2011, 07:16 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

i forgot to also say this tho (as I put into my other thread):

The tough love that I see to be extreme here may be just the right thing for somebody else and it's not for me to judge that... especially if the recipient welcomes it. And for me to judge the seasoned posters on here who issue their advice and tell it like it is --- was not fair. I apologize. You are trying to help in your way and though it would not help me in my life, it seems as though it has helped many others.

Gbless!
Old 12-13-2011, 03:16 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

****** CanFix}}}}}}}
Old 12-13-2011, 03:26 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Old 12-13-2011, 09:19 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

anvil- yes, i manually played the drums. all kinds of afro-cuban and african, and drumset- all styles. i had/have a killer teacher. he's oonly afew years older than me but has been taught by amazing players, a couple of them were from cuba and big in that scene. we got to play at some street shows in north philly years ago and some religious ceremonies. but my favorite thing was the orchestra or percussion i had built in my basement. all sorts of objects that had cool sounds including a giant heating oil tank, various iron pans, and assorted drums.

owlsong-

both actually!
i listen to carlos nakai mostly for na flute. i have one made by a guy in colorado and have researched a bunch of traditional songs. i can see if i can find the transcriptions for you. i also love the flutes of india, but never could play those too well.

Raga Shivranjani on Bansuri (Indian Bamboo Flute) - YouTube
Old 12-13-2011, 09:46 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Steve, you're talking about yourself!

Thank you God for the miracle and thank you Steve for accepting it! Keep on jamming
Old 12-13-2011, 10:11 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Very nice flute music.

I also luv this one.

Inti Punku - Peru. - YouTube
Old 12-13-2011, 12:06 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

canfix-

yeah it may be a thread by thread situation, person/person situation. but i this case i think my reaction was warranted. your post was no more unfair than the one that i reacted to on this thread. it is one thing to tell it like it is, and i totally respect people telling it like is is. but it is when people think they know every single thing every single time and do not leave room for other possibilities, at least on occasion i start to have issue. or, when there is no engaging or exchange of thoughts, i dont see how that helps. it jsut becomes name calling. but i respect anyone's right to say what they want. and i have no problem if people want to call b.s on me, but i will call it back whe i fein it appropriate. anyway, i am glad you post
Old 12-13-2011, 12:12 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

chino-

thank you. i think thats why i called back the bs on this thread. i knew there was something happening in me. i'm not totally where i want to be but i am in a good place.

in the past i tried to talk about me, but it seemed that those threads never went anywhere. i am really glad that this thread has covered so much. it feels like an open conversation.

i am so focused on me that i am about to spend my christmas money on records on ebay... but i guess thats not fair to everyone else. there are about 5 i am going to get and this can end up costing me a couple hundred. an original of one sold for 7,500 last spring!

see, now i am going to talk too much about me. but you guys all do feel like some kind of cyber friends so i'll be yapping either way, hopefully this good place will continue.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:16 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

kiki- i liked that.

here is some native american flute. i can actually play this stuff. i need a road trip back to pine ridge

R. Carlos Nakai - Echoes of Time - YouTube
Old 12-13-2011, 12:18 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

You talking vinyl - LP type of records?
Old 12-13-2011, 01:23 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing, Steve!! I didn't know you played drums or flute! I have played western African drums at periods in my life. It is such a wonderful stress reliever.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:24 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

justlizzyd-

yep, i am afflicted with vinyl collecting mostly Lps, some 45s. ebay and other online sites kill me sometimes. its too easy to hit 'buy now'
Old 12-13-2011, 01:31 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

bluebelle-

yes- west african stuff is the stuff. a lot came from the yoruba. there is nothing like it when a few people are 'locked' it becomes such a release.

one thing about drums though, they are the most dangerous instrument for people who do not know how to play. no one picks up a guitar and thinks they can jam, but put someone infromt of a hand drum and it can be ugly. once i found someguy pounding away on my djembe with a cowbell! i ran up and said wtf arer you doing? he says i'm playing the drums. i said and by the time you leave you are paying for a new skin for that too. and he did, but still who does that!!!!
Old 12-13-2011, 02:18 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by steve1840 View Post
kiki- i liked that.

here is some native american flute. i can actually play this stuff. i need a road trip back to pine ridge

R. Carlos Nakai - Echoes of Time - YouTube
Oh, I loved that. It's like the soul speaking out taking you to another dimention.

A road trip would be awesome! Many years ago when I was younger, I traveled out west and spent time on Indian Reservations. I even went to Alaska. Unfortunatelly, people at the small Reservations have nothing to do there, it's really boring so they mostly drink.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:47 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Steve, That sounds like a painful thing to see!!! I was taught from an early age that instruments need to be treated properly. However, I have seen people do things like set a cup on a drum like it's a coffee table.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:33 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Happy Holidays and Happy New Year!
Old 12-14-2011, 03:35 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

here is some native american flute. i can actually play this stuff.
Steve, do you think you could put a song together on a flute? Put it on youtube, we'd love to hear you.