how to deal with loved one cravings?

Old 11-22-2011, 09:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

how to deal with loved one cravings?

ok this is from my past experience and i have had a problem with what to do, is there a way or a specific thing to do when your loved one gets a craving to use, before my agf got a habit for heroin, she would use here and there, sometimes once a month, sometimes every 2 weeks, before it became everyday, but she would wake up, and then come out to get something to drink and like mope around and be miserable, and i knew exactly what her problem was, she was fighting with herself because she wanted to use, but she knows it causes a fight and shes trying not to do it, she i guess was trying to fight it off, an inner struggle but how do you get them out of it, the cravings, how do you deal with it.

ive tried to change the subject, not say nothing at all and leave her alone which just resulted in her getting it later in the day, lets go for a walk, if i suggested a meeting she would get mad, so what do you do?
Old 11-22-2011, 09:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Leaving her alone didn't result in her using, it's what she wanted to do regardless of your actions. Next time, get yourself to a meeting
Old 11-23-2011, 04:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by athomewaiting View Post

but how do you get them out of it, the cravings, how do you deal with it.

ive tried to change the subject, not say nothing at all and leave her alone which just resulted in her getting it later in the day, lets go for a walk, if i suggested a meeting she would get mad, so what do you do?
You cannot fix this or her. There's nothing you can do to keep her off the junk just as there is nothing you can do to cause her to relapse. Your are not that powerful. None of us are. If our love and caring could cure addiction, none of us would be here.

Alanon can help you manage your own codependency. You can also read all the stickeys at the top of this forum page to get a better sense of addiction and the flip side, codependency.