Press charges against my son ?

Old 11-18-2011, 07:37 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

(((Heartbroken))) - as another RA (recovering addict) AND recovering codie, maybe think of it the way it's mentioned above. YOU are not throwing him in jail, YOU are allowing him the dignity to learn that life has consequences.

Had the people who love me not allowed me to suffer the consequences of my addiction? I'd probably still be using or dead. Instead, I have over 4-1/2 years in recovery.

I'm not saying jail will be his bottom...I was there, several times, and it was the realization that I was heading for prison that finally smacked some sense into me.

I know the guilt, the doubts, and all that other stuff...went through it forever. It took me, learning that some consequences really suck, to even think about recovery. I'm grateful to my family, who let me figure that out.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-18-2011, 09:41 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

<deleted>.
Old 11-19-2011, 03:59 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
it is what it is

heatbroken - so much good advice from everyone - i just want to add my prayers for your family as you find your way on this journey - the main thing i want to emphasize is that being locked up saved my son's life - jail is certainly not the worst thing that can happen - blessings
Old 11-19-2011, 06:26 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Heartbroken: I hope you are feeling stronger as days pass. I know this is difficult to go through and, as you see, we are here to listen and offer support. I am sending prayers up for you and your family, and I hope for peace of mind for you.

For years, we've "done everything we could to help" our emotionally struggling and substance abusing 20 yo son and have come to realize with the support of others that he has to face consequences. He had been in jail earlier this year and had fines to pay, related to incidents that occurred on our property; we didn't let him off the hook.

Keep us posted. We are here for you. Take care!
Old 11-19-2011, 07:00 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'm confused. If the police couldn't arrest him at the time of the incident, how can you press charges? Personally, I would if possible, but if there was no proof he did the dammage ... ?