Husband is confused and I am heartbroken. Please help...

Old 11-12-2011, 09:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Clyde's Bonnie

Husband is confused and I am heartbroken. Please help...

Hey everyone. I was wondering if anyone's significant other got off methadone and became depressed? My hubby said out of the blue he's not sure if he's in love with me anymore. I mean out of the blue. The only thing that has changed in his life is he is just recently (1 month) off methadone. He was on it for 8 yrs. He got 2 weeks vacation take home bottles and weened himself off of it milligram by milligram which took about a month. Anyways I'm not looking for med advice just curious to see if anyone knows if methadone can affect your happiness. Thanks guys.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

It's a drug, that many are addicted to, if he has been using it for 10 years I'd say he is going thru withdrawals and withdrawal can cause depression.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Clyde's Bonnie

Thanks Dolly. He seems to be ok as far as depression but he is questioning a lot of things in his life. I would say he is dealing with a little bit more confusion than he did when he was on methadone.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sure Methadone is a potent opiate for an addict it makes everything ok.When stopped it does the opposite.He probably just needs time to even out.good luck to you both
Old 11-13-2011, 08:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Clyde's Bonnie

Thanks Tbeit. We talked a lot last night and he said he's been thinking about what could have caused his uncertainty and we are in the middle of moving, cancelling the contract of a house, moving back to old state, living in my parents living room with 2 kids, 2 cats and 2 dogs. I personally don't think its a coincidence that he's questioning his feelings that all that is going and and he's off a medicine he was on for 8 years that made him feel ok. Just wanted to see if anyone else's significant other cam of methadone and started wondering what makes him happy anymore.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
a southern belle

hey sugar....i would venture to guess that the methadone didnt make him happy per se...it made him NUMB. he is awakening and having to deal with alot of stress at this time. he is probably pissed and frustrated. most likely he is not in love with his current situation and that, by fault, includes you. just hang in there and hope that your situation improves along with his sobriety. when the surroundings get better, so will his frame of mind. good luck...good love...mags
Old 11-13-2011, 10:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Clyde's Bonnie

Thank you steel. I love your name btw! I think the same thing but sometimes fear gets in the way of faith. We are living apart right now and have been since oct 1st. We see each other every 2 weeks. We are apart because he went up to old state to find a house for us. then a week later said he was having doubts. he is in a motel by himself and working 6 days a week and going to the gym.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
a southern belle

all you can do is have faith. try to make the time that you spend together...wonderful. he needs to be reminded right now....why he does love you and his family. he may be feeling a bit like a free bachelor while he is away from the stresses of family and marriage. try to be patient with him....but, dont be a door mat. i am pretty sure that alot of things are awakening in him right now. if he is true in his sobriety, he will do the next right thing. bless you and yours....mags
Old 11-13-2011, 10:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Clyde's Bonnie

Thanks steel. I have been surprisingly calm and patient, despite having an anxiety disorder. ive been reading a lot online about advice on marriages and have ordered some books from amazon.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Is he in a program at all, or going through all this alone?
Old 11-13-2011, 03:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Clyde's Bonnie

It's been about a month since he's been off methadone. He started weening at 12 mg. He's in no program. He hasn't touched illegal drugs or alcohol since 2005. He is seeing a therapist to help him sort through his feelings.