Update and good news

Old 11-10-2011, 06:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Update and good news

Well, it has been around 2 weeks since my AS had to vacate my house- update
For all you guys that read about my phone call dilemma, I didn’t say anything to my son(didn’t explain to him why I wasn’t answering the phone) and I never answered the distress calls as well.

That was great advice from you smart people!

Good news today. I received a call from the county drug treatment facility; they said that my son asked them call me to invite me to their meetings for parents and family of addicts. I will be attending on Sat the 19th. I was shocked that he found treatment on his own, and that he wants me to go these meetings. Rumor has it he found a job as well. Don’t worry guys, I am not getting my hopes up too much about this, but it is a step in the right direction. LOL, I was going to call him, and recommend narcotics anonymous meetings as extra support, but then I remembered that his recovery is his own, and I didn’t call.
Making him move out has been a good thing.
Thanks again guys,
Staying strong
Old 11-10-2011, 07:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((December))) - that is fantastic news!!! Good for you for not getting your hopes up too high, as that's taking care of YOU!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-10-2011, 07:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

He's still got a long row to hoe, but he appears to be moving in the right direction. Stay strong and let whatever happens, happen. Work your own recovery and allow him to do the same.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Impurrfect,

Yep, I don't want to get into that obsessive "fix him" mind set again.

I just wanted to ad this thought. I always thought that I would never be okay as long as my son wasn’t ok. That somehow my life was forfeit. So, in a way- fixing his life, I thought, was fixing my own life. Weird of me, but that is what I believed. Can you say CODY!

Take care
Old 11-10-2011, 07:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Suki,
Yes very true words
I know my potential to get all wrapped up in this.
Thank you
Old 11-10-2011, 07:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
a southern belle

good job...december. sounds like the room you are giving him is making him grow up. you both will be served better if you stand back and listen. let him make the calls and do the foot-work. as a mother of two, i understand the forceful urge to "fix" it for your child. sometimes fixes from us make the booboo worse. he's a big boy now...he knows where the bandaids are...and he can apply them. hugs to you....mags
Old 11-11-2011, 03:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

"But then I remembered that his recovery is his own, and I didn’t call."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

By George, I think you've got it! Good News, thanks for the update!

Old 11-11-2011, 04:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

He found it himself...just goes to show ya that when we let go, they get going.

Keeping him in my prayers.

Hugs
Old 11-11-2011, 05:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wonderful! I actually let out a little gasp when I read how the rehab called you because I thought, 'wait, he's not in rehab...' I can imagine the shock you must have felt!

You're right, this doesn't mean everything is fixed. But for today, the world is spinning a little more evenly, isn't it?? :-) Addiction is a war fought in daily battles, and this is one battle he's winning.

I'm glad to hear you refrained from giving him advice about NA. Trust me, the rehab will take care of that. One of the hardest things I fight every day is my urge to get involved in my son's recovery. I don't. And it gets a little easier each day as I continue to educate myself on the reasons why I should stay out of it. Understanding that my involvement and "motherly advice" is harmful to his recovery is what I keep in my head. I don't want to do a single thing that would be harmful to him. If I have to duct tape my mouth shut, I will, because I don't want to CONTRIBUTE to the illness.

For today, you get to embrace hope. What a wonderful thing! I'm so happy for you.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wonderful news! Today I feel a strong power in our threads. Thank you to everyone here who shares. The knowledge and the experience of "how it works" has been a Godsend to me. December, this is wonderful news and a great way to start the day.
Hugs,
Teresa