SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Substance Abusers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/)
-   -   Alanon (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/240420-alanon.html)

jacksdaughter 11-07-2011 10:15 AM

Alanon

Is Alanon good for dealing with a drug addiction problem as well ??

PaperDolls 11-07-2011 10:21 AM

I believe so, yes.

You could also check out Naranon.

Justlizzyd 11-07-2011 10:24 AM

There seem to be more Al-anon meetings than Nar-anon, I know where I live they are not any remotely close to me. However, the Al-anon have welcomed me as they believe addiction is addiction does not really matter what they are addicted to. I have had friends that stated that they were not really welcomed to Al-anon because their qualifier was a drug addict. I never ran into that.

hopeful0323 11-07-2011 10:34 AM

There are not any naranon meeting where I live. So I go to alanon. For me, my father was an alcoholic right up to when he passed at age 51. Also, AXBF also is a "very bad drinker" (in my mind an alcoholic). So, for me alanon works very well. And many of the members' qualifiers are addicts in the meeting I go to the most. I think it depends on the dynamics of the group.

TMZ 11-07-2011 07:59 PM

Nar-anon is directed to mostly relatives or friend of drug addicts. But still is kind of new and growing. (they are a spin off of al-anon)

Al-anon Is mostly directed more to alcoholics but accept drug addicts family and friends especially in areas that no nar-anon exist yet.

You will be accepted by either group They are sister groups and work together, both use the same 12 step method.

platinum1221 11-07-2011 09:54 PM

I go to al anon, and have been accepted as well. The meetings I've been to have been welcoming to me & others, it hasn't mattered if it was alcohol or drugs. I've been to one nar anon meeting (there are only a couple around here)& I liked it as well.

BeingStill 11-08-2011 06:08 AM

I've had different experiences. One group in my area starts each meeting by reading a passage (from where I don't know) where it says something like: "Even though we recognize that drugs and gambling can be addictions, Al Anon is for family and friends who are dealing with the effects of alcoholism. Although others are welcome to work our program, only those who are suffering from the effects of alcoholism are able to become members." The statement went on to say something about needing to maintain the integrity of the group as being for those dealing with an alcoholic.

At first I just tried to ignore that and focus on the fact that my RAS is truly an alcoholic as well as being a drug addict... but that exclusion statement every week ended up making it impossible for me to feel comfortable.

I attend a different Al Anon group in my area that is wonderful. It really is important to shop around. Groups have different personalities.

Kindeyes 11-08-2011 06:25 AM

I attend both and find comfort and help in both. I take the words "take what you need and leave the rest" to heart.

If there is no Nar-anon group in your area, I would highly recommend Al-anon. If there is more than one Al-anon meeting in your area, I would also highly recommend that you try them all until you find the group that is best suited to your needs and you feel most comfortable in. Unfortunately, I think many people make the mistake of going to just one meeting or just one group and making a determination based upon that limited experience that it's not for them. Each group has a different feel and focus.

For me, the programs works. I work hard at it and I am amazed at times with my own progress (and my own backsliding lol). It has changed my life.

gentle hugs
ke

Justlizzyd 11-08-2011 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by BeingStill (Post 3163474)
Although others are welcome to work our program, only those who are suffering from the effects of alcoholism are able to become members."

I did not realize that Alanon was an entity requiring membership?

BeingStill 11-08-2011 07:21 AM

Exactly! It was very uncomfortable.

Kindeyes 11-08-2011 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by BeingStill (Post 3163555)

Exactly! It was very uncomfortable.

Both Nar-anon and Al-anon speak of "membership" in that the only "requirement" for membership is that you are affected by someone else's drinking (Al-anon) or drug addiction (Nar-anon). And since both are anonymous programs, there is no "registration" for membership.

Membership implies belonging to something. For some, the disease of alcoholism and/or addiction causes significant isolationism. One of the most important tools they may first encounter in recovery is the sense of belonging to something.....the knowledge that they are not alone.

I hope this explains the issue of membership.

gentle hugs
ke

BeingStill 11-08-2011 08:03 AM

One of the most important tools they may first encounter in recovery is the sense of belonging to something.....the knowledge that they are not alone.

Thanx for the insight. I agree whole-heartedly. That's why I felt unwelcome at the one group. The other Al Anon I attend is full of amazing people who do support me as a member of the group. I encourage all to try another group if the first one you visit is unwelcoming.

Justlizzyd 11-08-2011 08:13 AM

Thanks Kindeyes and I understand. I've been lucky that the al-anon and open AA meetings I have attended have had a different approach because at the state I was in at one time (which was not good), I would have given up on the whole idea.

MsPINKAcres 11-09-2011 09:35 AM

I don't have my manual with me at work - but we have had this issue come up several times -
In Louisiana - we looked to the Al-Anon Service manual for answers on this issue - I can't remember the page right off the top of my head - but there is a specific paragraph that addresses this issue - I don't remember the words exactly but it's something like each person should decide if the program is for them or not - that we are available to help FRIENDS and FAMILIES - whether the problem is alcohol or another substance -

I'll have to see if I can find the exact statement - but spirit of the statement is that all are welcome to come to the fellowship to use the program to help themselves.

Wishing you the best in your recovery -

PINK HUGS,
Rita

MsPINKAcres 11-22-2011 07:16 AM

In the Al-Anon/Alateen Service Manual (2006-2009 Edition) page 108
Dilution of the Al-Anon Program
Drugs/Narcotics/Prescription Medications
A symptom of alcoholism in the home may be the abuse of drugs by family members. Occasional discussion of this topic is acceptable at an Al-Anon or Alateen meeting as it may be one of the results of living with alcoholism.

The above quote from the service manual states that the occasional discussion is acceptable. I know that my home group welcomes a newcomer and gently suggest the person change the focus from the alcoholic/addict back to themselves. Then it doesn't matter if it's alcohol or drugs ~ the recovery is focused on themselves.

Just my e,s, and h
PINK HUGS,
Rita