Advice on rehab for AS

Old 10-22-2011, 12:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice on rehab for AS

MY AS says he is "done"
Started methadone treatment 2 months ago and says he is sick of it all....
He wants to know if he can go to rehab...(he has ins) even though he is not "using".. BUT addicted to methadone (which I believe is just as evil as H...but legal)
Has anyone ever been admitted to rehab to get off methadone?...OR do you have to stick it out on your own for years and hope someday you will eventually get off of it?
Old 10-22-2011, 02:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Well...........................since he has insurance ............................. he has to be the one to do the 'inquiries' as to what his insurance allows, which rehabs are covered, and then HE can call them to see which one will take him.

I know this is hard on you, but please step back and watch HIS ACTIONS to see if they match HIS WORDS.

Oh and yes, there are 'detoxes' for the methadone.

Love and hugs,
Old 10-22-2011, 02:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Just about any "good" insurance will take you... He found out where he could go according to the insurance...SO he did do some leg work...
He just needs to call the places to see what they have to say about it....
"I" was JUST WONDERING that's all...
Just wanted to see if anyone has gone "inpatient" to detox from methadone...and what is all involved in it...
Or is is better for him to wait it out a year and wean off...
I thought this forum was about asking about others experiences??
Gheesh...
Old 10-22-2011, 02:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

He just came home from work...
Told me he contacted two different treatment centers that the ins told him and they both said he needed to be down to 30 mg to be admitted....
He is currently at 100...
SO thats an option if he wants to wait 4-6 months...Or just go back on the H to get admitted...
What a system...!!???
Old 10-22-2011, 02:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WIworrier View Post
He just came home from work...
Told me he contacted two different treatment centers that the ins told him and they both said he needed to be down to 30 mg to be admitted....
He is currently at 100...
SO thats an option if he wants to wait 4-6 months...Or just go back on the H to get admitted...
What a system...!!???
I was never on H and subsequently never on methadone (straight up alcoholic), but I smell something wrong here.

I know you are not supposed to obsess over his actions, but this may be one worth checking out if you can. Maybe some of the other F&F's here can chime in.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

yeah I remember driving my daughter to a detox place (yes after she did the leg work) in the middle of a blizzard because she was told the only way the insurance may agree to accept her is if she was in the middle of withdrawals. They then only authorized a few days because she hadn't failed often enough in outpatient to "justify" inpatient. She was using heroin for heavens sake..that's not "enough"?? Sigh.

In my view, the US health insurance system is set up so that there is no thought about actually providing resources and support and keeping our young people alive; instead just total concentration on making money. It's all well and good for people to say, once ready an addict will do "whatever it takes" but a system based on the almighty dollar that does not even give an addict a chance to have a clear enough head to recognize some internal ability to fight the addiction demon truly is horrific.

I hope your son finds a better message somewhere and I am sorry you are going through this. It totally stinks to see our kids trying to help themselves only to be smacked down by capitalism. (yes, insurance companies are probably my biggest trigger ) I am sure there is a reason for this frustration, but I know that isn't what you want to here...nor would I in your shoes. Will they at least cover outpatient while he is weaning down?
Old 10-22-2011, 02:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by dgillz View Post
I was never on H and subsequently never on methadone (straight up alcoholic), but I smell something wrong here.

I know you are not supposed to obsess over his actions, but this may be one worth checking out if you can. Maybe some of the other F&F's here can chime in.
Googling methadone detox seems to come up with several places that offer it inpatient without restrictions stated at least online.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

He didn't want to do the methadone treatment and was basically"talked into it" by his counselor...Don't forget it costs the center approximately $1 per treatment of which he gets 7 days a week ($7)...BUT pays $97 a week..With a waiting list a mile long and hundreds of people...ALSO ins does not pay so it is ALL CASH!!!!>Do the math...This is a HUGE govt funded legalized drug house...
Anyway...his choice is that he does not want to do ANY drugs anymore ...including methadone...
And he does not want to be stuck/chained on this roller coaster for at least another year or longer....
So it sounds like he has to quit the methadone...go back on H and then be admitted to detox....
What a great system we have here....
Cynical One...Do you work at a Methadone center? Have you ever been to one?...It is a mass cattle call...no individuality...in and out round and round...they don't want you off...cause it's all about money in the end...
Old 10-23-2011, 02:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
TMZ

From what I know about MMT , He needs to tell the Dr. and his counselor that he wants to ween off and go into rehab. [But quitting and going back to H can 85% of the time kill them.] The weening process takes time. Still he needs to do it and with a Dr monitoring it. It is not an easy road but when he gets low enough then he can go for the rehab.

All in all this was his choice, and now that he has chosen to change he has to do it the right way, or he will just go back to H. Slow is the only right way. Remember; slow is fast and fast is slow. Remind him it is a disease and there are no quick cures. I know that my son is recommended to go to NA while he is doing the MMT. Is your son attending any meetings? He should it is a real good first step and he can find and get support there.

Hope this helps some not that I am an expert, just dealing with my own son on MMT. and reading all the literature that comes from it.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My sister did an inpatient methadone detox. What she did was similar to what TMZ describes -- told her center, did a short weaning period there. She got down to 40 mg then she went in to the detox. She will tell anyone who will listen that methadone is just as bad as H and that she was unable to be any more functional while on it. She also did suboxone for a while, gives it better review than methadone, but still wanted to be off everything and said it kept her from really thinking clearly.

My uncle's wife did a 44 day inpatient detox off methadone and was on more than 100mg and had been for over 15 years without ever tapering. Her insurance paid and it was in Florida, somewhere near Ft. Lauderdale. This was very recent, so I cannot give any update on how she will fare in the long run. She went back home, rather than doing a rehab or SLE to follow, so I think she will have a even harder road. But they took her at 100+mg (maybe 120?) which was a surprise to me.

All this just to say, your son is not alone in his feelings on methadone, and yes apparently there are places that will detox you from high doses. Oh, and cynical one is right, it will be torture to detox! Even from 40mg I know it was torture for my sister. She had a recent lapse after 8 months (which is what brought me to this wonderful site) but overall is still heading in the right direction I hope? She went right back to a short detox and SLE. Like so many here, I am cautiously optimistic --I have hope, but have lived the disappointments soooo many times.

I wish your son the best!!