Update on my AH and myself...but mostly on myself. :)

Old 10-19-2011, 10:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Update on my AH and myself...but mostly on myself. :)

Him: AH left to go out of town on Monday and will return on Friday. It's Wednesday now and he has attended NA meetings 2 of the past 3 nights in the town he is in. He has called to let me know he is saving receipts, and deposited some cash from a job and didn't keep any of it. He has also been reading a book called "Plan B: When God doesn't show up the way you think" and the Bible. So, that is good. He has 1 week clean from when he took pills last week. I didn't ask him to save receipts, I just told him when he went out of town to do what he thinks he should do and needs to do to let his actions show his priorities.

Me: I am almost done with "Co-Dependent No More" by Beattie. I absolutely love it. I bought the workbook, but honestly have just been reading the book, and once I get through it (hopefully by tomorrow) I feel like I will be able to go back and do the activities at the end of each chapter and do the workbook on my 2nd read through.

I also attended my 1st CoDA meeting today. I felt like it couldn't get here fast enough! It's amazing that there are AA/NA meetings almost every hour of every day, and in my city there are only 3 CoDA meetings each week. I left my CoDA meeting today and went straight to an Al-Anon meeting. I am hoping to go to a CoDA meeting tomorrow, too, and then I will have gone to 2 of the 3 that are offered in my city. Hoping to go to a Nar Anon soon, but there are only 3 of those as well each week. As a typical Co-Dependent, I invited my sister to go with me, and as a typical Co-Dependent she invited her friend to come with her, and then I was about 10 minutes late and they wouldn't go in without me!!!! It's was pretty funny.

I am able to relax more with my kids and we watched a movie today. Not sure if it is just because AH is out of town or if it is my perspective changing, it's probably both. I am starting to feel and know that regardless if my AH works a recovery consistently or not, or recovers or not that I will not adapt to his behavior, but I can accept it for what it is and move on if I need, too. I feel like I have been able to look at the reality of the situation more clearly and I don't deserve what I have accepted from my AH. I don't deserve that from anyone. I do honestly hope that he is able to accomplish "Recovery" for himself more than anyone. I let him know that I will allow him to stay with me as long as he is in "Recovery" and consistently working a program and he seems genuinely concerned about me recovering as well from my "Co-Dependency" habits such as worrying, checking, counting, etc....

I know I have a long road ahead of me, and regardless of that I am dedicating myself to work the recovery program and make my relationships healthy, or I will not be in them. Thanks for the support and posts, they have been instrumental in helping me understand this cycle I have been in since I was 10 and helping me to understand that I truly do deserve better, and just because I am not in a domestic violence relationship (which I was for 3 yrs before I met my husband) that I can still be in an unhealthy relationship that can be just as damaging. Learning to love myself, or at least learning to accept that I should be treated better than I have been. Very grateful.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds like you are keeping very busy taking care of yourself! That's wonderful! It's tough breaking those lifelong habits and thinking patterns.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 10-22-2011, 06:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I admire your strength and actions to move toward recovery.

As you mentioned Codependent No More, it brought up thoughts of when I was reading the book; that is, just how very difficult it was at the time for me to face the message of the author yet somehow quite comforting. It left me with a sense of hope that I could have peace of mind again and could start a journey along a new and more positive path.

Thanks for sharing and hang in there.