Dailies from ODAT part II

Old 12-21-2011, 11:57 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Present

December 22 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

Al-Anon has many treasures for me if I am willing to accept them, but none can do more for me than learning really to live in the present. That means being more aware of myself and of small happy things that often dramatize themselves into importance as I observe them with enjoyment.

No matter how grim the situation may be that has troubled all my waking thoughts, there are shining nuggets of pleasantness all around me to distract my mind from its cares. But I must be on the lookout for them so they will not be lost to me!

TODAY’S REMINDER

The noted scientist Huxley said it this way, “For every man, the world is as fresh as it was the first day, and as full of untold novelties for him who has the eye to see them.”

This is a constructive and rewarding way to achieve the detachment so often mentioned in Al-Anon.

“God make me receptive and aware; restore to me my capacity for wonder.”
Old 12-23-2011, 02:44 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Present

December 23 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

Setting our goals too high can lead to frustration and worse. The perfectionist, clinging stubbornly to her ideas of what life ought to be, often has difficulty grasping both the acceptance and detachment elements of the Al-Anon program. She demands too much of herself and of the alcoholic partner.

This compulsive drive for perfection – an unrealistic idealism – can be a neurotic symptom as difficult to deal with as the alcoholic’s compulsion to drink. It makes big problems out of little ones, increases our despair when things don’t work out as we hope they will and hampers us in coming to terms with life as it is.

TODAY’S REMINDER

I will learn to yield a little here and there and accept what I may be impelled to challenge and resist. I will try to achieve a balanced kind of detachment which is not abandonment of or disinterest in the alcoholic, but a decision not to let myself be touched too deeply by happenings that are essentially unimportant.

“To adapt ourselves with a quiet mind to what is possible and attainable, therein lies happiness.”
Old 12-23-2011, 02:48 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Present

December 24 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

There is an easier way to rid ourselves of painful thoughts and imaginings than by following the philosopher’s advice, “Empty your mind…” It is to replace worry and distress with something pleasant.

When I do this, I am not running away from my troubles but clearing my mind of confusion, so I will be better able to make decisions when the time comes to do so.

Constant dwelling on disturbing matters never solves anything; trying to follow the convolutions of a problem only makes me lose all sense of proportion about it.

TODAY’S REMINDER

I will turn to simple things: the contemplation of a tree or a cloud; writing a long-deferred letter or making something, perhaps a birdhouse, a rag doll or a cake. I will deliberately lose myself in the new preoccupation so that when I come back from it, my thoughts will be freshened and ready to deal clearly with what I have to face.

“A change of scene, a new interest, a creative undertaking – these are healing medicine for the troubled.”
Old 12-23-2011, 02:55 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Present

December 25 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

It is often suggested in Al-Anon that we examine our motives. It isn’t easy to ask, “Why did I do that?” and conscientiously track the fault to its source. Did I really mean to let those resentful words escape from me – did I intend to hurt? Or was I giving vent to the pressure of a deeper discomfort: guilt, inadequacy or fear? When I looked closely at my reasons, did I believe that what I said or did was justified?

We may justify our actions, but often we only rationalize or sidestep the truth. As we dig down deep to uncover our motives, we discover how painful it is to admit, even to ourselves, that we are wrong. Al-Anon places a high value on self-honesty; facing up to our faults is the first step toward overcoming them.

TODAY’S REMINDER

I am on the way to achieving maturity when I can cheerfully accept the fact that I am not always right. Then new truths can penetrate and open my mind to the helpful influences all around me.

“Every way of a man is right in his own eyes, but God pondereth the hearts.”
Old 12-26-2011, 12:38 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Present

December 26 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

The subject of the meeting was our Al-Anon slogan LET GO and LET GOD. Three minutes were allotted to each member for comment. Here’s what one member said, “I don’t want to shock anybody, but it seems to me some of us take this slogan far too literally. It doesn’t mean to just drop all our problems and let God take care of everything. It’s up to us to use the intelligence He gave us.

“An odd little thing happened this morning that illustrates the point. I was trying to thread a needle, one of those with a small round eye. I struggled with it, but the point of the thread always slipped by. Automatically I said to myself, ‘Relax – Let Go and Let God.’ But it still didn’t work. Suddenly I got the message. I wasn’t using the good sense He gave me. I took one of those long-eye embroidery needles from my pincushion, and quick as a wink, it was threaded. It was a silly little incident, but it can apply to bigger things, too.”

TODAY’S REMINDER

I won’t always look to God to help me when I’m too lazy to do my share of thinking.

“God helps those who help themselves.”
Old 12-28-2011, 01:00 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Present

hello SR friends - I'm recovering from a cold/sinus/fever thing and will now be getting caught up.

December 27 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

Let’s think about group problems, those disagreements that sometimes happen because we do not quite understand each other. It is not surprising that we who have come to Al-Anon so confused and unhappy, with our thinking warped by family difficulties, should find ourselves at odds over some point of procedure or a personal misunderstanding. We all have different backgrounds, goals, motives, standards and hopes, and these can come into conflict when we find it difficult to communicate with each other.

For group problems, as well as for our individual ones, we use that helpful phrase in the Twelfth Tardition which ends, “”…ever reminding us to place principles above personalities.”

TODAY’S REMINDER

Whenever I am tempted to impatience or anger because someone in my group does not agree with me, I will remind myself to place principles above personalities. Everything that happens to me as a person, everything that involves my relations with my group, can be ironed out by applying Al-Anon principles. This lifts all discussion far above the level of personalities and brings about harmonious solutions.

“Our common welfare should come first; personal progress for the greatest number depends on unity.” (Tradition One)
Old 12-28-2011, 01:06 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Present

December 28 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

Today, let’s think about our intentions. The word will suggest to many of us the vast gap between what we intend to do and what we actually do. We intend to be kind and tolerant, but some uncontrollable impulse changes our attitude into something we later find ourselves regretting. We intend to accomplish so much, but unless we start out with a realistic estimate of what we are capable of doing, we fall far short of our expectations. We intend to make a good life for ourselves and our families, but we seem constantly to be deflected from it by others. Or we permit the actions of others to prevent us from fulfilling what we hoped to do.

TODAY’S REMINDER

My intentions are good. When I do not fulfill them, I am disappointed: I may even be weighed down by a sense of guilt. How can I avoid this? I will try to clarify my intentions, decide what I really mean to do, say and accomplish. This will help me keep my life on a satisfactory, productive course.

“Let me first be sure what I intend and the reasons for my choice; this will guide my thoughts into constructive channels, and keep me from attempting the impractical or impossible.”
Old 12-29-2011, 01:05 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Present

December 29 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

“There are some things I absolutely refuse to accept,” says a member at a meeting.

This is too often true of someone who suffers from inordinate pride or is unable to admit she is ever wrong.

Before I decide I cannot accept this or that, I had better examine my part in the deadlock. Were my expectations unreasonable? Did I demand too much? Am I being confronted with a natural reprisal for my rigid, uncompromising attitude?

If we have hurt someone or demanded too much of them, swift retribution may dismay or infuriate us. Shouldn’t we search out the causes and do something to correct them?

TODAY’S REMINDER

I may feel ever so justified in “talking a stand,” but let me consider whether it was something I did that led to the crisis. To remain unyielding may result in disaster I am still less prepared to accept!

“We are quick enough at perceiving and weighing what we suffer from others, but we mind not what others suffer from us.” – Thomas A’Kempis
Old 12-29-2011, 10:46 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

“Let me first be sure what I intend and the reasons for my choice; this will guide my thoughts into constructive channels, and keep me from attempting the impractical or impossible.”
This popped out at me because I learned it was one of the best ways to decide whether I was trying to control a situation or just doing something nice. Thanks for the reminder, it's good to look at my intentions before I act.

Happy New Year and thank you for posting these, Meredith.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:20 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Present

I'm glad they help - the ODAT's give me a lot too. I've learned to be less of a controller, myself

Happy New Year to you also! ...may 2012 bring each of us the best...!

December 30 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

There is an old German folk tale in which the Good Fairy brings a child one gift: the ability to foresee the outcome of everything she does.

It is a gift we all could use, especially when we give way to despair and decide, at all costs, to free ourselves from a situation that seems unendurable.

If we could visualize the outcome of a move such as breaking up a marriage, for example, we might not be so ready to deprive our children of a parent; we might shrink from the heavy responsibilities we’d have to meet. Above all, we would still have to contend with our own shortcomings, the very ones that may have helped to bring us to the point of desperation.

TODAY’S REMINDER

If I want to make a major change which affects other lives as well, let me first consider the possible outcome. Have I really tried to examine and correct my own faults? Is there a way for me to improve my attitude? I will let the great decision wait until I have tried that!

“The truly wise solution may lie in improving myself.”
Old 12-31-2011, 01:11 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Present

December 31 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

This is the day on which another year closes. It is a good time for a quiet, honest look at my personal progress. Has it been a good year, better than those which went before? Has the day-by-day guidance of the Al-Anon program brought me to a greater realization and acceptance of myself, the unique individual I am?

If I have regrets for errors or omissions, I will dismiss them. The New Year which lies before me has no time for futile regrets. I will live just one day at a time, making each one better than the last, as I grow in confidence and faith.

TODAY’S REMINDER

Again, I resolve to live the coming year One day At A Time, easing myself of the burdens of the past and the uncertainties of the future. Whatever may come, I will meet it with a serene mind.

“And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God.”

To Sober Recovery Friends, May you be blessed today. Each day!!
Old 01-01-2012, 09:48 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Present

January 1 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

This year is a book of clean blank pages on which I will write a record of my experiences and my growth through the daily use of the Al-Anon idea. I turned to Al-Anon as a last resort because I was living with a problem that was too much for me. I know I can deal with this problem through applying Al-Anon to myself, to my thoughts and my actions, every day. If I allow myself to be influenced by what the alcoholic says and does, it will make blots and smears on the pages of my year. This I will try to avoid at all costs.

TODAY’S REMINDER

I can live my life only one day at a time. Perhaps my confusion and despair are so great that I will have to take it one hour at a time, or one minute at a time, reminding myself constantly that I have authority over no life but my own.

“Realizing that nothing can hurt me while I lean upon my Higher Power, I ask to be guided through the hours and minutes of each day. Let me remind myself to bring every problem to Him for I know He will show me the way I must go.”
Old 01-01-2012, 09:50 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Present

January 2 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

If I were to sit down in a quiet corner and look back over the happenings of my troubled life as though I were examining the life of someone else, or reading about it in a book, how would it appear to me? I know I can do this only by guarding against all self-justification; looking at the facts honestly. Have I said or done things in haste, anger or desperation that made my situation worse? Are there things I recall with regret? We learn only from experience and only by making up our minds not to repeat past mistakes.

TODAY’S REMINDER

I will not fall in with the alcoholic’s craving for punishment to relieve his guilt. I will not scold and weep, for it will not help me overcome the difficulties we are trapped in. I will try very hard to deal with my day by day difficulties with quiet poise, remembering always that I am doing this for my own benefit.

“When I am tempted or pressured into irrational behavior, I pray that I may stop and think before I do or say anything whatever. I ask God to remove these impulses and help me to grow into the person I want to be.”
Old 01-03-2012, 01:53 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Present

January 3 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

Why do I waste my precious time and energy trying to figure out what makes an alcoholic drink – why he doesn’t consider his family, his obligations, his reputation? All I need to know is that he suffers from a disease – alcoholism, the compulsion to drink. Why shouldn’t I have compassion for him and his illness when I am so ready to feel sorry for people who have other diseases? Do I blame them? Why do I blame him? Can I cure him by reproaching him? Can I look into his heart and realize the true nature of his sufferings?

TODAY’S REMINDER

The fact that I am the spouse, child, parent or friend of an alcoholic does not give me the right to try to control him. I can only make the situation worse by treating him like an irresponsible naughty child.

“On this day I promise God and myself that I will let go of the problem which is destroying my peace of mind. I pray for detachment from the situation, but not from the suffering drinker who may be helped to find the way to sobriety through the change in my attitude and the love and compassion I am able to express.”
Old 01-04-2012, 12:34 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Present

January 4 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

If I say, “Of myself I can do nothing,” I am asserting that I intend to seek help. Where is the help for my problem of living with an alcoholic? I will find it with my fellow members in Al-Anon. There, I will find understanding strength and hope. There, I will learn to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can. My first step will be to have a program: I will go to every possible Al-Anon meeting; I will read Al-Anon literature; I will keep an open mind; I will apply what I learn to everyday life.

TODAY’S REMINDER

My own way of thinking often deceives me. I can see but a little way. When I realize that people are learning to solve their problems in over 30,000 Al-Anon groups all over the world, wouldn’t I be punishing myself needlessly to reject this wonderful way of life?

“Sharing experiences widens one’s h*o*r*i*z*o*n*s and opens out new and better ways to deal with difficulties. There is no need to solve them alone.”

Last edited by MeredithD1; 01-04-2012 at 12:36 AM. Reason: for some reason, h o r i z o n s went "all stars" like it was an unallowed word.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:40 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Present

January 5 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

This day, I will concentrate on the inner meaning of the Commandment, “Thou shalt love they neighbor as thyself.” I will accept myself, for that is the primary condition under which the good in me can grow. Unless I am at peace with the child of God I am, I cannot love and help my neighbor. Regrets are vain. They interfere with the good I could do today, the making of the better person I want to be tomorrow.

TODAY’S REMINDER

Condemning ourselves for mistakes we have made is just as bad as condemning others for theirs. We are not really equipped to make judgments, not even of ourselves.

Thomas A’Kempis said, “All perfection in this life is attended by some imperfection and all our farseeing is not without obscurity.”

“Today I pray for the wisdom to build a better tomorrow on the mistakes and experiences of yesterday.”
Old 01-06-2012, 06:46 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Present

January 6 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

Until I came to Al-Anon, I thought nobody had a problem as bad as mine. That gave me plenty of reason to feel sorry for myself, to resent what the alcoholic was doing, and to hammer away at his mistakes and shortcomings.

As I attended Al-Anon meetings, my eyes began to open. Other people’s problems made mine look small, yet they were facing them with courage and confidence. Others were trapped in situations as bad as mine, but they bore their troubles with more fortitude; they accepted the fact that the alcoholic was suffering from a disease. I found many reasons to be grateful that my lot was not worse. My load began to lighten.

TODAY’S REMINDER

When things look blackest, it is within my power to brighten them with the light of understanding and gratitude. I realize how much depends on my point of view; my own wrong habits of thinking and acting must be corrected and only I can do that.

“Let me not expect easy solutions to my problems. Make me realize that many of my difficulties were created by me, by my own reactions to the happenings in my daily life. I ask only to be guided to a better way”
Old 01-06-2012, 08:38 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Present

January 7 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

Someone said something unkind about me. Are my feelings hurt? Yes. Should they be? No. Now do I overcome my hurt? By detaching myself, “turning it off,” until I can figure out what lies behind it. If it was retaliation for an unkindness I did, let me correct my fault. If not, I have no responsibility in the matter. Should I ignore or challenge? No, I will let it go; least said, soonest mended. Nothing can hurt me unless I allow it to. When I am pained by anything that happens outside of myself, it is not that thing which hurts me, but the way I think and feel about it.

TODAY’S REMINDER

Let me not take to myself, and suffer over, the actions and reactions of other people. Other adult human beings are not my responsibility, no matter how closely their lives may be intertwined with mine. I will not allow myself to be troubled by anyone else; my one problem is to improve my own way of living and looking at life.

“God teach me to detach my mind from what others say and do, except to draw helpful lessons and guidance from them.”
Old 01-08-2012, 02:21 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Present

January 8 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

When the alcoholic has been blessed with the gift of sobriety, I can be grateful for the many good consequences of the change: being able to depend on his coming home on time so the family can be together at the dinner table; being able to invite friends in without fear of embarrassment; having our bills paid so we can hold our heads up.

If I am ever tempted to have misgivings about this new-found sobriety, I will strive for confidence; my trust will help him maintain sobriety and keep me serene.

TODAY’S REMINDER

Even if there are many problems still to be solved, I will make the most of the benefits that sobriety brings, I will live the Al-Anon program and depend on it to help me solve whatever problems are still to come.

“I pray to learn to enjoy the good that each day brings and not to be apprehensive about the future, which is in God’s hands.”
Old 01-10-2012, 03:52 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  
Present

January 9 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

When living with an alcoholic overwhelmed me, I didn’t know which way to turn or how to make a decision. I rejected God because I resented what I considered unfair punishment. Yet I found that “going it alone” made matters even worse. At a still later state of desperation, I turned to Him again and placed my life and my will in His hands. Once I had surrendered, trusting Him completely, my burdens were lightened. I cannot profess to understand how such things happen; I want never to forget that He is ready to befriend me, but only to the degree that I trust Him.

TODAY’S REMINDER

If instead of trusting in god I trust only my own intelligence, my own strength and my own prudence, I will not find my way to Him and His help. He has offered me the gift of faith. In accepting it, I must put aside my own human will and trust in Him. Dante, in The Divine Comedy, wrote, “In His will is our peace.”

“Trust in the Lord with all they heart and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all they ways, acknowledge Him and He shall direct thy paths.”