Afraid of the Drug Dealers

Old 10-02-2011, 09:51 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

At the same time, I don't think this is over.
No, far from it.

Now, take all jewelry and anything of value in the house and put it in a safe deposit box.

Keep check books, and credit cards locked up.

Get the alarm system installed.

and

Change the locks. Make sure there are good locks on ALL the windows.

Make sure garage is LOCKED at all times, or tools, garden tools, anything with any 'pawn value' will disappear.

Hopefully, you and your H can find some help at Alanon and/or some private counseling with a counselor that specializes in addiction.

Please keep posting and let us know how you are doing a we do care very much.

Love and hugs,
Old 10-02-2011, 10:24 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Now's a good time to change the locks and get an alarm system...
Old 10-03-2011, 04:13 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'm sorry you are hurting. It must be such an overwhelming feeling to know that your child has completely turned his back on the family and left to live a drug-filled lifestyle.

But please, please, please protect yourselves! I firmly believe that your son is not who he used to be at the moment. He and the other dealers know where you live, know what you own, know where it all is located throughout your house. There is also the potential danger of him shortchanging the other dealers..........I'm truly not trying to be overly dramatic, I just hope you and your dear husband will protect yourselves.

Continued prayers for safety!!! HG
Old 10-03-2011, 06:48 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

No, it's not over. Please do what Laurie has outlined. He will be back and it won't be to say "Hello".

Your son is not the son you knew, he is an addict, he will do what all addicts do. Use, steal, lie and manipulate.

Actually, he did you a favor by leaving, he would have never stuck to the contract thing anyway and your home would have become a battleground.

Have you read Codependent No More? I would. Also, please get to Naranon meetings and read all the stickies at the top of this page. I would also read Cynical Ones recent post about parents of addicts and what they should do. Take the time to gain the knowledge you need to deal with a person in the throws of active addiction. He has a disease that there is no cure for, this will be a lifelong battle, you must be prepared not
to enable as enabling is the worst thing you can do.

If you haven't shut his phone off yet, do so. Don't give him any money, don't pay for anything, no matter how much he cries, moans or promises. Addicts are excellent manipulators, and, he knows your weak spots, he will target them.

I am sorry, however, I am not surprised.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:51 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry that you and your husband are going through this.

I would definitely take all the security measures that everyone has suggested. Better to be safe than sorry.

Don't take it personally that he does not appreciate what you try to do for him. He's not being his true self and so probably can't appreciate it. He probably doesn't even notice it. When my AS stole our bank card and withdrew money I later told him that "Wow, you had to be in our room when we were sleeping and slip it out of my wallet." He said "I don't even remember doing that but I guess I did as I had the card." Their brain is in some kind of other mode or something. They obviously are not thinking clearly.

I also wouldn't be too worried that he doesn't have a place to go. Addicts are very resourceful. If he can fool his family and be on drugs without them knowing for long periods of time, I have no doubt they can fend for themselves without us.

Kari
Old 10-03-2011, 07:16 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

When we codependents create opportunities, we often expect graditude.It's not going to happen. Detox was a brief pause, nothing more or less. He's doing what addicts do.

It's our blasted expectations that get us into trouble. Cleaning his room is of no consequence in the big picture.

If you are carrying the insurance on the car/liability, you may want to cancel it, if the insurer allows you to do so.

He will land someplace cause we are never their only alternative. Couch surfing is common stuff in addict land.

You gave him an opportunity. He declined. Regardless, most people do not learn until they experience consequences. You gave him the dignity to figure this out on his own time.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:24 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Now my Father is very angry because we gave him his car last night. However the car was titled in his name and he is 18. My Dad said we should try to get the car back when he comes over and the title and tell my son his grandfather is taking it away. The police already told us that it's his car and even if we do this he can come back and demand it. Yes, my Dad paid for the car but he isn't here and doesn't know what we're dealing with. We are doing the best we can, we werentaken off guard...and it is HIS car. Will I give him any money...NO. My Dad is verynwealthy and had a college fund set up for him and I'm sure he won't go back so I am going to try to get the money back. My Dadnsaid to get him in the marines but with two psyche hospitals on his medical record and a current anti-depressant medication they said they would not take him. Then my Dad told me tomgo to another recruiter and lie. Well, this is stupid because the military does a thorough check of medical records...plus my son doesn't want to go. I feel like I screwed up again. But when we got the car we didn't want our name
on anything of his due to his insanity. I guess the next time he comes back, we can tell him
his grand-father says he wants the car back and see how far we get. I don't know anymore.
The way I was thinking was...o.k. If you want to be a man and take off...it's your car and your phone...go on and good luck. Now I feel like I sent him closer to jail. I did the best I could. My Dad has a horrible temper. He said I should have lied to my son and told him the car wasn't in his name and never given him the title. We'll see about getting it back.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:35 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Yeah, I think that you had no choice, it was his car, in his name. I hope that the grandfather won't give your son any money, money is the lifeblood to addiction.

Don't be surprised if he tells you that the car was stolen, addicts will trade anything for drugs, and you have no idea of how much he owes to the dealers he bought the drugs from. They have their own credit system to keep addicts hooked, however, you will pay them back...one way or another.

I agree, if he is on your insurance, get him off, this could turn into a liability for you.

As a side note, you and your husband need to be on the same page, this is very important, remember, NO is a complete sentance.

Sending support and hugs your way! I am so very sorry that you are having to deal with this.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:41 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

You have done all that you need to do. He's on his own now and if he lands in jail, so be it. All that stuff your father wants you to do is ridiculous. Your son is 18 and is considered an adult in the eyes of the law. You can't force him to do anything, so your dad needs to step back and realize that there are just some things in this world that he doesn't get to control.

I agree that you and your husband must be on the same page with this thing or it will cause nothing but more chaos. It would be a very good idea for both of you to find and attend al-anon or nar-anon meetings so you can both learn to detach from your son's madness.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:45 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Oh my....your screen name is so very appropriate. You are being windblown between your addicted son and your controlling father.

You can't control your son. You can't control your father. You CAN control yourself, your environment, and what you will and will not listen to or put up with.

I'm going to guess that you are an extremely nice person who is trying desperately to satisfy everyone around you and keep the peace. You take everyone's demands to heart and feel compelled to do as they say.....no matter what the consequences are for you.

How do I know this? Because I just described myself.

Does your life feel unmanageable? If you answer "yes" to this question. That's Step One.

Would you like to be returned to sanity? If you answer "yes" to this question. That's Step Two.

This is the (simplified) process that you will find in the rooms of Nar-Anon (or Al-anon). It is in those rooms that I was able to begin to realize that I had a "self" that wasn't tied to my addicted son or my controlling parents (and I could name off just about everyone else in my life here). I was able to learn that I am not responsible for all of those other people--I'm responsible for ME. I learned that I have the right to have boundaries. I am learning how to set and protect those boundaries. I am learning the meaning of "serenity", "courage", and "wisdom" for ME.

When you get tired of being windblown by your son's addiction and your father's control, I hope you'll do something for you. You deserve it. It's there when/if you're ready.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 10-03-2011, 08:35 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Kindeyes, great post!
Old 10-03-2011, 09:53 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I have been were you are right now, and I have been there more than once.

I almost loved my child to death. The quicker you can get to where everyone is telling you here that you need to be....the better for your son.

I know it is almost impossible to make the brain shift that goes totally against everything we were ever taught.

It's like learning a whole new language. And it's a really difficult one.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:27 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Kindeyes, what a well stated post!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you.

(((((Windblown)))))

If your dad is that concerned, give him son's phone number and have him speak direct to son. Next time your dad starts on this, just suggest he reads up on 'addiction', that you and hubby are DONE.

Now, 'batten down the hatches', tighten your seat belts, take all the precautions that have been given previously and any more you can think of.

This is just beginning, and as anyone on here will tell you it does get worse, much worse, before it ever gets better, if it does.

I know you are hurting, and now is the time to take care of you.

Remember:

You did not CAUSE this.

You cannot CONTROL this.

You cannot CURE this.

He has to want help before he will get help, and he is not there yet.

We are here for you, and we do walk with you in spirit!

Love and hugs,
Old 10-03-2011, 12:33 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Reading this thread has me triggered all over the place. Windblown reminds me so much of myself and the situation with our son "back in the day....."

Windblown - I know what you're thinking: "Oh, I could never do that! He's not THAT bad! I just need to make sure he's safe and make him understand how much he is HURTING us!! My son was raised in a good home! He is NOT an addict like you see in the movies, for crying out loud!! He just needs to come home and live by the rules! I need to be firm!....", etc., etc., etc. Oh, how I remember those days. I was very naive even though I'm a pretty smart cookie and i"m no pushover. HA! My "problem" was/is that I was/am simply a MOTHER!!! Letting them go and letting them fall as far as they will, is soooooooo COUNTER-intuitive! It's mind boggling at first and then after about 2-3 more years of hell, you finally get it.

I had to laugh at him calling his dad for $20 for gas. You wouldn't believe how many times I fell for that one!!! Way too many to count, that's for sure. Although my son uses the "blown out tire and need cash to patch it" routine.

What a freakin' mess.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:25 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Windblown View Post
Now my Father is very angry because we gave him his car last night. However the car was titled in his name and he is 18.

Not your problem.

My Dad said we should try to get the car back when he comes over and the title and tell my son his grandfather is taking it away. The police already told us that it's his car and even if we do this he can come back and demand it.

Police are correct.

Yes, my Dad paid for the car but he isn't here and doesn't know what we're dealing with. We are doing the best we can, we werentaken off guard...and it is HIS car. Will I give him any money...NO. My Dad is verynwealthy and had a college fund set up for him and I'm sure he won't go back so I am going to try to get the money back.

Give dad your son's phone #.

My Dadnsaid to get him in the marines but with two psyche hospitals on his medical record and a current anti-depressant medication they said they would not take him.

Your son is an adult. You do not have the authority to put him anywhere.

Then my Dad told me tomgo to another recruiter and lie. Well, this is stupid because the military does a thorough check of medical records...plus my son doesn't want to go.

Dad thinks people can be forced??? Silly control freak goose.

I feel like I screwed up again.

Well, that your choice. You can also choose to beloeve you have done the best you can, under the circumstances. If that's not goood enough for dad, that's his problem.

But when we got the car we didn't want our name on anything of his due to his insanity. I guess the next time he comes back, we can tell him
his grand-father says he wants the car back and see how far we get. I don't know anymore.

If there is a next time, have dad talk to him. The car is none of your business.

The way I was thinking was...o.k. If you want to be a man and take off...it's your car and your phone...go on and good luck. Now I feel like I sent him closer to jail.

His lousy choices alone will determine if he ends up in prison.
I did the best I could.
Yes you did.

My Dad has a horrible temper. He said I should have lied to my son and told him the car wasn't in his name and never given him the title. We'll see about getting it back.

We teach people how to treat us. Why take calls from people with horrible tempers?
Getting the car back is not your problem. That's between your son and his grandfather. Take this unnecessary monkey off your back.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:49 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

If your father gave your son the car and the title is now in his name, your father can't take it back. It doesn't work that way. It's your son's car now and if your father tries to take it away, it will be theft. This is all out of his control just as much as it's out of yours.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:50 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Everytime I get back to this post I feel a new resolve. I feel your strength. You say everything my sponsor in alanon says...everything the cops told me during the intervention, everything the drug counsellor at the detox center told me, everything anyone who knows and has been through this has told me!

And yet, I found myself zipping through parking lots because I thought I saw his car, driving through neighborhoods I thought he might be, cleaning up his wreckage...meaning going to the college to get the money back because he isn't going, being told he is 18 and I have to get his sig, then driving to the hospital he was in to get the records to take to the college to get the money back...but again...he's 18...we can't release them! I tried Daddy, to get your money back but if he won't come and sign these papers then the money is gone...and I don't have his student password so if he opts not to withdraw his classes his gpa will lower. I have spent 12 hours on his cr@p and I am worn out. I didn't even eat today. Tomorrow I have to go sit at the dept. Of Motor Vehickles and get a replacement tag that one of his so called druggy 'friends' stole off the bike! That is the only thing we have in both his and my husband's name and I don't want any legal trouble down the road. But my son is not getting it back. I have culled through the file box and separated his stuff from ours. I feel like he will be gone forever. It is so strange when someone you love just leaves. Do I text and say I love you...or just leave him alone.

If he came to the door hungry, would I take him out for a cheeseburger as my sister in law with a currently relapsing coke addict 21 year old said to do or do I send him to a food bank? Btw...she also bought a condo that she rents to him for 500.00 a month when she could be getting 750.00 and well...this month he can't pay her. How hard is hard? How tough is too much? What am I really worrying about...my son hasn't even called.

However I did notify the police that he is back out there. The switchboard lady just writes
down a message and leaves it in the officer's box. But I tried.

I even did something really wacky...went to a tarot card reader....and guess what...she told me it will take him at least two years to get better and he may move back to GA and will get arrested before it is over but he won't die.

I know I am crazy today. I even took pictures of his horrible disaster of a room on my cell phone. Like I'm going to show it to him some day when he is better.

I am definitely going to a meeting tomorrow. Alanon is awesome but I'm telling you...any program is hard to work in a crisis situation...the old behaivors are triggered.

I just do't understand why he doesn't love me enough. Now I'm crying. Whatdid I do wrong? Whynis this happening? I gave him everything in the two short years he was here. I tried to make up for the horrible childhood he suffered with his Dad. But was it all futile? Where do I go from here. I miss him. He's gone and left. This is a nightmare. Thanks to everyone...tomorrow I promise I will be better. It's just that I thought he would be here to take care of all this wreckage...and instead I spent my day doing it...I am both angry and very sad.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:59 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Stop! Breathe! Breathe again! You've got to calm down. You spent this whole day running around, wearing yourself to a frazzle, yet accomplishing nothing. Stop doing that. Stop trying to please everyone. Stop trying to take care of business that isn't yours to take care of. Now breathe again. You are going to continue to have days just as frustrating and exhausting as this one has been if you don't stop it. You can't fix this.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:02 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

If love could cure an addict there would be no one on this forum, I would be posting to myself. You love your son, and he deep down in his soul he loves you.

However, right now, right this moment in his life, his mind has been hijacked by addiction.

I am not really following the other aspects of his life, however, if there are other members of the family that are addicts there is a predispotion to the disease.

Go to meetings, keep posting, lots of wonderful supportive people here.

Let your emotions flow, this will take time, be patient.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:04 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

O.k. Breathing now...breathing now...i'll get there. Thank you.