What would you say?

Old 10-01-2011, 08:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What would you say?

I had a situation recently where a waiter asked us if we wanted wine with dinner. That's fine but a simple 'No thank you' should have made him shut up. He persisted and I usually stop a waiter when they start rattling off the list of alcoholic beverage specials for the evening and tell them we don't drink so aren't interested. Most will just stop then. Not this guy. This was at an Olive Garden Restaurant, not a bar, by the way. He then said something to the effect of "Well that's no fun." I just gave him a dirty look and a strong 'I said no thank you." Then he stopped. However, I felt like the jerk as I got upset. No one at our table is an alcoholic/addict but it was family and my other son is so we are sensitive to this stuff.

I don't mind them asking as that is their job but if they keep on once you say no, then I'm trying to think of something clever to say to get the point across. What I FELT like saying was "You wouldn't think it was fun if you lived with a drug addict."

Maybe I should have said that, lol. However, is there something better to say to get the point across so maybe he would just take a NO from the next person?

No biggie, I can handle it, but just wondering.

Kari
Old 10-01-2011, 09:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

You did just fine!!!!!

We now have an Olive Garden here, but about 3 years ago, a group of us went to one of the three in El Paso and ran into the same exact thing. The guy just did not hear me.

We were all 'non drinkers' btw. Some sober and clean A's a few Alanons and just some great friends that do not drink.

I finally told him to be quiet, and asked him what he did not understand about "NO?

He said something similar about that 'being no fun.'

I looked him dead in the eye, and said in my most firm voice:

"Do you like working here? Do you like the atmosphere? Well, let me tell you, if you bring wine to this table I will personally after a glass or 2 starting physically tearing this place down.

I think you had better start listening better to your customers."

His eyes got 'big as saucers' and no more was said. His service from then on still wasn't that great, and we as a group chose to give him a very small tip. He got the message.

Have to tell you the aftermath of that was some friends went there a few weeks later, got the SAME waiter, and as he started to present the wine list they said "No thank you." He IMMEDIATELY went on to reciting the 'specials of the day.'

All the above to say, that I get very assertive when I am 'not heard' or 'ignored' especially when it comes to alcohol!

Again, you were probably very tame and tactful, lol compared to what I would say and do.

I have a Mormon friend (Mormons do not drink, well most of them) and he makes me look like a 'pussycat' in those types of situations, he really gets 'offended' when it comes to alcohol being 'forced' rather than the offering ceasing and desisting after he has said 'no thank you.'

Again, you did fine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love and hugs,
Old 10-01-2011, 09:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had someone call my house stating that they were a wine broker and "got my name from a friend who told them I like wine". I simply said "That's odd. I don't drink." She started blubbering about how that's so strange because she was told that I really enjoyed wine and.......

I stopped her with "We have family members who are alcoholic. We don't drink. Please take my name off your list."

She apologized and went on her merry way.

Drugs and alcohol are a part of our societal fabric. I am also pretty sensitive when people joke about drugs and alcohol. It takes work for me not to respond and place those discussions on "ignore".

The waiter gets a larger ticket and therefore a larger tip if overpriced alcohol is served. He knows that and I'll bet that his line works 50% of the time and people change their minds and order a drink. You did fine. He got your message.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 10-01-2011, 01:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Likely the wait staff is required to push alcohol by their management because they can't cover their cost by selling unlimited breadsticks.

Write to headquaters:

Olive Gardens
5900 Lake Elenor Drive
Orlando, Florida 32802
Old 10-01-2011, 01:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Laurie and Kindeyes.

I also request different seating if they try to sit us at a booth in the bar area. I just tell them it is too loud but really it is because I don't care to be around the bar scene.

Kari
Old 10-01-2011, 07:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

Actually, I must not pay it much attention, cause I don't remember ever having a problem after saying no thank you.

But, I sure wouldn't have a problem saying, we have family allergies to alcohol, so, no thank you.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just guessing, but it could be possible that they get bad performance reviews if they dont push the "upsells" - wine, appetizers, desserts, etc. I DO think he should have laid off when you made it clear that you weren't interested but it probably wasn't personal.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KC79 View Post
Must just be an Olive Garden thing cause they do that here in Oregon/Washington also. I always turn the wine glass upside down before the waiter gets to the table and that usually is a sign.

Funny story along the same lines...
When AH was in treatment this spring I went to Starbucks before I left for a visit with him. It was like 6 in the morning and the perky SB girl says "you have anything planned today?" and I said "nope" and she said "awe that doesn't sound that fun" and I said "well actually i'm going to visit my drug addict husband in rehab today".... that shut her up. She probably didn't ask another customer that day what their plans were. lol.

KC
That is kind of funny. I could see myself doing that if I was in the right mood.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good job, don't even think twice about the way you handled the situation. The truth is, some people are just oblivious to alcoholism and addiction and probably don't even think twice about what they say about alcohol and drugs. They don't even think that an alcoholic/addict/loved one of an alcoholic or addict is sitting next to them (sitting at the table they are waiting on, reading their facebook statuses, and so on). And people here are really bad about this sort of thing - I live in New Orleans - enough said.

Anyway, you did just fine dealing with your waiter. I on the other hand, would probably have not handled it as gracefully as you - he would have been dodging breadsticks, lol.

Have a good one,
Old 10-02-2011, 09:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good for you in having a strong stance! I will say that I had a friend who waited tables at OG in college and he was pressured to sell the wine. On top of that when he went in for his second interview they made him memorize the wine list and little speal they are suppose to give at the table before giving him the position.
All waiters should understand "no thank you" though. I too would have been frustrated.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I did work at OG in college. It was back in the dinosaur era, but it sounds the same as when I was there. We were pressured to upsell everything. We were held accountable for how many desserts, alcoholic beverages and appetizers we sold. There was a board in the kitchen and good salespeople were praised and poor salespeople were chastised.

They also only gave wait staff 3 tables max at all times so you could provide the best customer service. However unless you upsold the heck out of fried zucchini and beer, your tips suffered and nightly take home was low bc you didn't have as much volume as other restaurants.

This guy must have been trying to get off the wall of shame ie the manager's sh&t list. Still, one complaint to the floor manager and he would've eaten this waiter for lunch even if it's there own policies that create the behavior.