Understanding: Addict Using vs Addict Recovering

Old 09-26-2011, 08:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Understanding: Addict Using vs Addict Recovering

Hi Everyone,
I'm trying to understand how it is that the addict using can completely "forget" about his feelings and his life while using. I understand this is an addict, but what happens when an addict enters recovery? Do they just wake up and not want certain people in their lives?
Old 09-27-2011, 01:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sadly....yes.....

They want us while they are using because we help them continue their addiction.

When they are in recovery....they have no use for us. We represent all of the shame and guilt of when they were using.

If they relapse.....then they are like a bad penny....you won't be able to get rid of them.

It's a vicious cycle until you get healthy and in recovery yourself.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

In the 1950's, it was shown that chemically creating an incision between the frontal cortex and prefrontal cortex could cure schizophrenia. However it also caused serious side effects. Patients became unable to comprehend the emotions of others. They were also incapable of experiencing social emotions. They isolated themselves.

That sounds a lot like someone in active addiction. Once you take away the drugs, the synapses communication between the frontal and prefrontal lobes heals after the drug use is disconnected.

Also, addiction is a disease of the midbrain, or as I call it, the "reptillian" brain. Here's the difference between an addict and a non addict. An addict [I]can[/b] use many drugs often, like alcohol, and never develop a problem. But in the brain of an addict, it has been shown that activity in the "reptilian" brain overrides activity in the "logical" part of the brain, the frontal lobe. Most people have three basic needs regulated by the midbrain. Food, sex, and thirst. In addiction, the midbrain is confused. It replaces those old basic needs solely with drugs. That is why many addicts view using drugs as a matter of life and death.

There are a myriad of other neurological differences between addicts and other addicts but you get the picture.

Once an addict stays sober long enough (a thought that originates in the prefrontal cortex), after enough time the successfully recovered addict can fight their enemy (the reptilian mid brain, that ALWAYS wants an addict to use). It takes time.

There are many many reasons why addicts don't seem to care about anything when the'yre using. Their brain views drugs as being MORE IMPORTANT for survival than food. It takes a LOT of conscious effort in the frontal lobe to overpower the instinctive midbrain.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ZoeLee View Post
Hi Everyone,
I'm trying to understand how it is that the addict using can completely "forget" about his feelings and his life while using. I understand this is an addict, but what happens when an addict enters recovery? Do they just wake up and not want certain people in their lives?
Recovery was a slow process for me, and thank God for that. I've seen those who get "well" fast. They inevitably crash and burn.

The people I did not want in my life were all the old using buddies and dealers. Oh, and my EXAH.