Inspiration, Meditations, & Words of Wisdom

Old 09-22-2011, 10:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wink Inspiration, Meditations, & Words of Wisdom

Hi all I've been doing a lot of soul searching lately and while on my journey to recovery, I have come across some very amazing inspirational quotes, daily meditations, and words of wisdom by various individuals. Every time I read or hear something that relates to me - my feelings, wants, needs, goals, recovery, and so on - I write it down in my journal. Every day, I read these powerful words to remind myself of why I am on this journey and what I need to do in order to get to the end of this path I have chosen.

I would like to start a thread dedicated to any inspirational quotes, daily meditations, and words of wisdom that have had some positive effect on you and your recovery. I'll start off by posting a quote from Melody Beattie's The Language of Letting Go. Feel free to add your own favorite quotes or anything that may brighten someone's day or help someone find the strength needed to continue on the road to recovery. Hope you all enjoy this.

Letting Go of Urgency

"One thing at a time...One task at a time. One feeling at a time. One day at a time. One problem at a time. One step at a time. One pleasure at a time..."~Melody Beattie, The Language of Letting Go~
Old 09-22-2011, 10:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Tolerance

"Practice healthy, loving tolerance of ourselves said one man. When we do, we'll learn tolerance for others. Then, take it one step further. Lear that all the humanness we're tolerating is what makes ourselves and others beautiful." ~Melody Beattie, The Language of Letting Go~

This is one of my new favorite quotes because it applies to my life in so many ways. Lately, I have been having difficulty tolerating others, but what I learned today is that I must be able to tolerate myself first - my feelings, fears, and mistakes - before I can move on and work on my relationships with others.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Change

"The key to change...is to let go of fear." ~Rosanne Cash~

"The first step toward change is awareness. The second step is acceptance." ~Nathaniel Branden~

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending." ~Maria Robinson~

"We must become the change we want to see." ~Mahatma Ghandi~

"Growth means change and change involves risk, stepping from the known to the unknown." ~Anonymous~

"There is nothing wrong with change, if it is in the right direction." ~Winston Churchill~

Old 09-23-2011, 03:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for starting this!! One thing I have been trying to focus on lately is trying to be myself. I'm also working on acceptance, which is the same thing. I want to accept myself for who I am and accept others. I also want to accept that I am where I am for a reason.

Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else.
-- Judy Garland

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
-- Dr. Seuss

If God had wanted me otherwise, He would have created me otherwise.
-- Johann von Goethe
Old 09-23-2011, 06:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you
Old 09-24-2011, 08:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have this one on my refridgerator but I don't know who to attribute it to:

Do not be afraid of tomorrow for God is already there.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 09-24-2011, 05:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Glad to see some new quotes - Thanks for adding them Bluebelle & Kindeyes - I've already written them down in my journal. The Dr. Seuss quote was my favorite

Originally Posted by bluebelle View Post
Thanks for starting this!! One thing I have been trying to focus on lately is trying to be myself. I'm also working on acceptance, which is the same thing. I want to accept myself for who I am and accept others. I also want to accept that I am where I am for a reason.
Bluebelle,

Stay focused on yourself, who you really are, and eventually acceptance will come. My whole life I have been trying to be the person others want me to be (my parents, friends, boyfriends, etc.), and it was exhausting. Regardless of what I did or said, I felt like I always let someone down, I couldn't make everyone happy. I finally got tired of it all, tired of pleasing everyone else, so I started to focus on myself and who I wanted to be. I still have a lot of work to do, but I'm finally beginning to accept me for me, and I'm somewhat happy with who I have become.

I know it's not an easy task to do, but don't give up. Keep focusing on what you need & want, who you want to be, and what you have to do in order to make it happen, and the rest will fall into place.

Good luck to you!
Old 09-24-2011, 05:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Here are a few more that some of you might enjoy...

"Time, effort, and knowing what to do are the keys to recovery."

"Hope allows us to keep going when circumstances are dire and there does not appear to be any opportunity of turning the tide."

"When you blame others, you give up your power to change." ~Robert Anthony~

"There is a difference between trust and stupidity." ~Melody Beattie~ (one of my favs)
Old 09-26-2011, 11:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Today's Inspiration...

"Believe that life is worth living and your belief will create the fact. Be not afraid to live." ~William James~

"Being happy means surrendering to all of our feelings, not just feeling happy." ~Melody Beattie~

"In most cases, the art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook."