Concerned about nephew

Old 09-14-2011, 02:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Concerned about nephew

In high school, my nephew was caught several times for underage alcohol at parties and once for pot (that I know of). He was counseled and got his cases dismissed/sealed. Now he's 21 with excellent grades in college and plans for med school, but he still smokes pot every time he's home on break at least once or twice depending on how long he's home and likely more while away at college although probably not daily. His parents are not worried, but I cringe because I feel like he has a problem even if he could stop smoking long enough to pass a drug test for med school.

Am I being overly negative because I'm the parent of an addict? Is what he is doing not such a big deal for a college student these days? Just wondering what you all think.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think it's typical. His grades will likely be the first thing to go, if alcohol and pot become his priority. Most people who smoke pot never progress to hare core drugs, just as most who consume alcohol do not become alcoholics.

Not a darn thing you can do about it so why worry about what you cannot control.