GF of an Addict in Recovery... What I've learned so far!

Old 09-12-2011, 05:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Talking GF of an Addict in Recovery... What I've learned so far!

I was able to visit my addict BF for the 1st time yesterday! It could not have gone more perfectly! He looks amazing, sounds healthy, and is in good spirits! He's 28 days into a 90 day inpatient treatment program for opiate addiction (roxy,oxy,opana, and pretty much any other pill he can fit up his nose). I def. understand that as far as recovery goes... he's not just a beginner, he's more like an infant... We have a very long way to go, but things are great so far, and we're both taking things one day at a time!

I felt the need to post this to let others know that there is at least an ounce of hope. I know that I have NO CONTROL over his addiction, his recovery, or what he does when he returns home... But just seeing/hearing the progress he has made in such a short time brings me to tears. I have never felt so proud, or experienced such joy. I have no clue how our story will end, but I have hope that there are atleast some people out there that do have a happy ending. A month ago, I didn't believe that to even be a possibility...

At this point, I am trying my best to be "cautiously optimistic". I'm going to al-anon (there's no narc-anon in my area), trying to recover from my own codependency and guilt, living my life for myself, and attempting to create my own happiness. I won't lie and say that he isn't still on my mind constantly, but I'm doing my best to live for me... And maybe when he gets home we can rebuild us?? If not, atleast I know that I'll be ok!
Old 09-13-2011, 07:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Im glad things are moving in a positive direction and you are working on you. It sounds like you have a good wide eye look at things. I hope for both of you, together or seperate things keep moving forward
Old 09-14-2011, 09:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

that is so wonderful! i wait for the call that will never come saying that my love is in rehab. i think the only call i will get from his mom is when he's dead. i pray though and i hope. and i try to move forward.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

one day at time...it applies to the "loved ones" as well. Don't get too far ahead of yourself and simply appreciate each of his "good days" for what it is... a good day.

Like the grains of sand on a beach those good days can begin to pile up...but that takes time...

Appreciate ..each grain of sand
Old 10-04-2011, 02:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm so glad everything is going well for you guys. Good luck with everything and keep positive. I'm going through a similar process. *Hugs*.