Trying a New Path

Old 08-28-2011, 03:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Trying a New Path

You are reading from the book Today's Gift

The route you take depends a good deal upon where you want to go.
—Lewis Carro
ll

Day after day, the father drove to work along the same dreary highway to the same dreary job. Sometimes his daughter went to his office with him. On one of these occasions she noticed a winding road running parallel to the highway. "Oh, Daddy, let's take that road today," she suggested. After some grumbling and mumbling, the father agreed and turned off to take the side road.

To their delight, the road was lined with full trees and a rainbow of flowers. They came upon a quaint little village in which there was an office with a sign in the window, which said, "Clerk Wanted. Inquire Within." The job seemed perfect and the man accepted it with excitement he hadn't felt in many years.

Sometimes we have to risk taking a different path in order to arrive at a different place. How else can we change things in our lives that need to be changed? And how easy to do it, once we're willing to risk something out of the ordinary.

What can I do that's out of the ordinary today?

From Today's Gift: Daily Meditations for Families ©1985, 1991 by Hazelden Foundation.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I am a big believer in doing my part and letting life lead me to where I am supposed to go.

Sometimes doing my part means trying something new, changing old ways or seeing life as a great adventure and checking out many roads and paths.

I am no longer disappointed when I find an obstacle in my path, to me it's just life and my HP re-directing me to something else better.

Dare to dream, dare to change and dare to live life as intended...with a great sense of adventure. I promise you it makes the journey way more fun.

Hugs
Old 08-28-2011, 06:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It is amazing how just doing something a little different one day can change the course of your life. This happened to my daughter while she was attending UW. An offhand statement and wish became a career for her.

I'm going to keep my eyes and ears open for those little opportunities that can lead to a new and exciting adventure.

Thanks for sharing Ann!

gentle hugs
ke
Old 08-28-2011, 07:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ann View Post
I am no longer disappointed when I find an obstacle in my path, to me it's just life and my HP re-directing me to something else better.
I realized yesterday that had I still been at that crappy job at my local hospital, I never would have gotten the new job that I have now!

God does not close one door without opening another, and you just don't know when that is going to happen!
Old 08-29-2011, 08:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank You for sharing this : )

I am new to this and at this point I am trying to just have faith that there is a different path for me. I am taking baby steps but steps indeed!
Old 08-29-2011, 08:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

likewise, I have made the decision not to be fearful of my partners drinking, it's a new road, and I'm not sure where it will lead. It might be tougher financially and workwise but I don't intend to continue in a negative frame of mind.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

One day soon I will share the condensed version of my story here, but those who have been around a while know how very broken I was when I arrived, how I lived in fear every day and in night terrors every night.

I am so grateful that somehow I found the courage to reach out and try a new path called recovery. It was a strange place to me, but those who went before me promised better days ahead. Nobody promised that my life would become perfect but they showed me how they had learned to get through the bad days and live the good ones well.

I am so very grateful for the wonderful sense of adventure i feel today and for all the many blessings life has brought me, even though some came as strangely wrapped gifts...a detour that led to a better path, a set-back that put a better plan in motion...so many gifts.

I just wanted to share that for the newcomers who may feel that life can never be this good for them. I promise that it can and it will, Codie's honour. If my darkness can lead me to light, you know yours can too. In the darkness we see the stars, and just one little light will shine on our path and the journey of recovery will have begun. I promise that's how it works.

Hugs