Another Addiction

Old 08-23-2011, 07:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Another Addiction

Been a long time since I've been here and the site looks just as full of wonderful advice as always.

Update on Daughter #2 is that she has been off crack from quite awhile but has turned into a full blown alcoholic. Her life, her choice, I can't change it.

Now, on to Daughter #3 - she's turned to gambling and I was wondering if anyone knows of a site geared towards that? She's in jail right now because of it and all her actions are identical to that of her sister when she was on crack. Her latest actions had her stealing from work, she stole two of my check books and forged checks, she wrote checks on a closed account of hers and cashed them with people in town, she's begged and borrowed from everyone in town, she's ignored her beautiful 3 year old daughter, she's let herself go until she looks dirty and like a slob, all for the sake of buying lottery tickets. She has thousands of them all over. Right now she's in jail because she chose not to go to her last probation meeting (for stealing and hocking Daughter #1's rings).

Now she's tried calling me all night from jail - I won't accept the calls. She's 29 and for so long all she has done nothing is tell one lie after another, robbed from me, robbed from her sister and robbed from my best friend - oh it just goes on and on. She calls people she barely knows and says they're starving and need money for food and runs to the nearest lottery machine. I swear this is as bad, if not worse, than when Daughter #2 was on crack. HELP!
Old 08-23-2011, 08:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for the info - checked it out and they don't have any kind of forum and the closest open meeting is over 100 miles away.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Are you attending Alanon? I think you will find that helps regardless of which daughter, and what addiction.

Alanon has been such a tremendous resource for me in every area of my life!
Old 08-24-2011, 07:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You know you cannot influence or change your daughters' behaviors and choices. So why continue to be a part of this? Change your phone # and begin the process of disengaging from the drama and chaos of their problems.

Where is your granddaughter, given her mom is in jail?
Old 08-24-2011, 08:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Internet was down all day - granddaughter is with her father for right now. I haven't taken any of the calls from jail and as far as I know that is where she will sit until she goes to court. I just want to see what help is out there for me in understanding gambling of all things.

I just never dreamed I'd have to go through all this again - I handle dealing with daughter #2 quite well and don't get involved in any of her drama, I have learned to walk away and leave it all behind and I really sleep very well.

Never in my wildest dreams did I think "gambling" could be so devestating and I think this has been even more destructive than the drugs. At least with the alcohol/drugs I knew I was dealing with someone who's mind was out of control, with the gambling she seems to be sane when she looks you straight in the eyes and lies.