Opiates and Legit Pain

Old 08-08-2011, 07:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Opiates and Legit Pain

My RA (addict/alcoholic) BF has a severe degenerative disc disease.

He was addicted to Vicodin for two years prior to having surgery to fix it. He has been off the Vikes for almost 9 months. Now he needs another surgery to fix it again.

And he has started taking Vikes again.

I am so upset.

I KNOW he is in a lot of pain. But I also know he takes them to check out of life, too.

So what is the solution? I thought he was taking them as prescribed, but yesterday he was super sleepy and kind of out of it, very forgetful.

I don't have proof, but his behavior was so strange. And TMI WARNING: When we have sex, he can't ever "finish" when he's on Vikes and he hasn't been able to finish for two days.

Is this my hill to die on? Do I wait until he has the surgery and see what happens?

This is so confusing.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Pain management and prescription drug abuse is a tough issue. There are those who are in serious physical pain who need meds to get through the day. I don't have any insight into this issue......I just want to let you know that I'm sorry that you are dealing with it.

My suggestion is always the same and I feel like a broken record sometimes.....but I think that the support found in the rooms of Alanon and Naranon are priceless. We learn how to distinguish between things we can control and things we can't control. And we learn how to find joy and serenity regardless what is going on with others around us. Those are priceless gifts that last a lifetime and can be used in every aspect of every day.

I'm sorry that your man is in pain and I'm sorry that you are worrying about his use of the drugs he has been prescribed. It's a tough issue.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 08-08-2011, 07:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have degenerative disc disease and spinal stenosis. There are a host of drugs, including Vidodin, which I will not take because it triggers me. I was prescribed percocets after a hernia repair that left me with 6" of staples, and the withdrawals were horrible.

I am never pain free, but I can tolerate a certain amount of pain. I take tramadol, as prescribed, and not on a daily basis to take the edge off when it's exceptionally bad.

I was told my only option was fusion, and I refuse because the surgeon said its 50/50 that it would help.

It seems to me that once you have one surgery, more follow.

No thanks.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Maybe this is just a "front" to take the Vicodin again.

He can still lift weights, have sex, mow (the pain is in his neck and down his right arm, they fused together his spine two years ago)

He has almost unlimited access to money (his own) so that is never an issue. Work is also not an issue, he has a lot of freedom in that respect as well.

I feel like I am totally being played now by his "pain".