The Little Boy and the Rattlesnake

Old 08-05-2011, 01:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Little Boy and the Rattlesnake

The little boy was walking down a path and he came across a rattlesnake. The rattlesnake was getting old. He asked, "Please little boy, can you take me to the top of the mountain? I hope to see the sunset one last time before I die." The little boy answered "No Mr. Rattlesnake. If I pick you up, you'll bite me and I'll die." The rattlesnake said, "No, I promise. I won't bite you. Just please take me up to the mountain." The little boy thought about it and finally picked up that rattlesnake and took it close to his chest and carried it up to the top of the mountain.
They sat there and watched the sunset together. It was so beautiful. Then after sunset the rattlesnake turned to the little boy and asked, "Can I go home now? I am tired, and I am old." The little boy picked up the rattlesnake and again took it to his chest and held it tightly and safely. He came all the way down the mountain holding the snake carefully and took it to his home to give him some food and a place to sleep. The next day the rattlesnake turned to the boy and asked, "Please little boy, will you take me back to my home now? It is time for me to leave this world, and I would like to be at my home now." The little boy felt he had been safe all this time and the snake had kept his word, so he would take it home as asked.
He carefully picked up the snake, took it close to his chest, and carried him back to the woods, to his home to die. Just before he laid the rattlesnake down, the rattlesnake turned and bit him in the chest. The little boy cried out and threw the snake upon the ground. "Mr. Snake, why did you do that? Now I will surely die!" The rattlesnake looked up at him and grinned, "You knew what I was when you picked me up."
Old 08-05-2011, 02:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nerdygirl... This really hits home for me!
Dangit! And axbf was
Always saying you knew how I was when you met
Me...damn lol
Old 08-05-2011, 02:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

So so true
Old 08-05-2011, 03:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

this makes me want to cry and throw up at the same time becaue it is SO true. I know that when I fell in love with my husband I knew at least some of the extent of his problem. No, I didn't know the whole story AT ALL but I knew enough to know that I was playing with fire. I don't know why holding a rattlesnake and spending time with it is so incredible....but I carried it up and down the mountain several times and then took him home to die......SNAKEBIT.......

I have to accept that not only that you can't befriend rattlesnakes but that my "love" maybe doesn't have the kind of magic that the snake makes me feel that I have.....

Thanks for sharing this...
Old 08-07-2011, 06:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I guess this wasn't the best thing to post, because it makes us feel stupid. Well, it makes ME feel stupid. I knew my husband had a problem before marrying him but I thought it was over. WRONG. He's been clean for 4 months but as with any recovery I'm sure there will be "slips" (that's what he calls it). Most of the time, I just want to kick myself for not being smarter. Seeing there was the potential for disaster, I should have run, but I didn't. Now, I'm codependent and full of anxiety and fear. I'm getting better though. I guess this story just makes me understand it's not his fault - he knows he's an addict. It's my fault for knowing what he was and still "picking him up". Meh...
Old 08-07-2011, 06:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lightseeker View Post
this makes me want to cry and throw up at the same time becaue it is SO true. I know that when I fell in love with my husband I knew at least some of the extent of his problem. No, I didn't know the whole story AT ALL but I knew enough to know that I was playing with fire. I don't know why holding a rattlesnake and spending time with it is so incredible....but I carried it up and down the mountain several times and then took him home to die......SNAKEBIT.......

I have to accept that not only that you can't befriend rattlesnakes but that my "love" maybe doesn't have the kind of magic that the snake makes me feel that I have.....

Thanks for sharing this...
I thought the same thing - that he just needed the love of a good woman. The support of someone whom he trusts and respects. But, when his friends are drug dealers and users and his family doesn't want to associate with him - um, that should have been my red flag. Since his sobriety, he is slowly rebuilding his relationships with his family and I admit I pushed him in that regard. He is still nervous to be in social situations and we kind of hole ourselves up in the house all weekend - just us - but, it's progress and I commend him for it!

We can't continue to beat ourselves up for the choices we've made. We have to forgive ourselves as much as the addict. Either find a way for it to work or move on. That's all there is at this point, right?
Old 08-07-2011, 06:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wow. Thank you for sharing that. For me, I read this and see the addict and his DOC.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I guess this wasn't the best thing to post, because it makes us feel stupid. Well, it makes ME feel stupid.
I don't think it should make anyone feel stupid at all. It simply shows how a kind heart can be used against us. I love stories like this. Sometimes when nothing else will get through to a person, a parable will make a situation clear.

I loved the story. It makes me think. And anything that gets my mental gears going in the right direction is good. The story hits home because it is so very true. And truth is often painful.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 08-07-2011, 02:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

I needed to see this today....for me today...was no CONTACT for a 14mths with my "friend"...believe this or not, i saw him on the highway....
Old 08-07-2011, 03:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
it is what it is

this story can be applied to a relationship with an addict but it can also be applied to an addict and his doc - drugs have a way of turning on everyone involved whether it be the user or the user's loved ones - i hate drugs and poisonous snakes! -