Steps One, Two & Three

Old 08-03-2011, 05:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Steps One, Two & Three

I read something the other day that I just love that I thought I would share. There are so many slogans that are used as quick reminders to help us through difficult times. This little jewel was an abbreviation of the first three steps. For those of you who are not familiar with the first three steps of the Naranon 12 step program they are:

1. We admitted we were powerless over the addict--that our lives had become unmanageable.

2. Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.

3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.

The abbreviation of the first three steps:

1. I can't.

2. God can.

3. I'll let him.

It is little treasures like this and the slogans of the program that keep my head in the right place when it feels like it's going to explode and roll off my shoulders.

Just thought I would share.

gentle hugs and prayers for everyone today
ke
Old 08-03-2011, 06:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you Kindeyes,

for sharing that. Sometimes , I realize that My thoughts are swirling around "what can I do, what can I do, what can I do?". I am tired.

so, thank you, for your reminder this morning. turning it over is the hardest thing in the world, because I trust no one more than myself, and I am powerless!

So, I am trying to look up and believe.

continuing prayers, for our sons and for us,
hugs
chicory
Old 08-03-2011, 09:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sometimes I get sucked back in to that futile search for answers. This is a direct, straight-to-the-point reminder for me. Sometimes I just need to yell at myself to "Stop! Put your hands up! Step away from the incident!"

Thank you for this easy reminder of what I need to be doing. :-)
Old 08-03-2011, 09:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Cool

I got sober in atheist/agnostic AA meetings, and most of the Alanoners were atheist/agnostic also. We had Father Martin speak at one of our annual our conferences, and I've always loved the way he shortened up the first steps.....:

1) There's a problem;
2) There's a solution; and
3) I get to decide which I want (problem? or solution?).

(o:
NoelleR
Old 08-03-2011, 10:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

1) There's a problem;
2) There's a solution; and
3) I get to decide which I want (problem? or solution?).
I love that too Noelle! Thanks for sharing for those who choose a slightly different but effective way of approaching the steps!

gentle hugs
ke
Old 08-03-2011, 05:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am totally going to write down all of the little phrases that I have seen on this site for inspiration. It's amazing how a few simple words can be so powerful, so uplifting. I've been keeping a daily journal, writing down how I am feeling (both positive and negative) as well as exercises from Codependent No More and ones that my therapist gives me to do each week. But I think some positive, uplifting quotes and sayings would be a great addition to my journal

Thanks again!
Old 08-03-2011, 08:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I just put on my white board on my fridge (previously holding a quote from Madea's take on relationships).

thanks for both of these.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I love those first three steps and have had to work them often...anytime I catch myself slipping back into old behaviours.

I remember my sponsor telling me that she saw them as...

1. The surrender step.

2. The hope step.

3. The faith step.

I wear a little pendant around my neck that, if you look closely, has the words "Hope" "Believe" "Rejoice" because those words remind me of the Steps also.

Thanks for this reminder today to keep my steps in place.

Hugs
Old 08-04-2011, 04:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Artist83: What was you quote from Madea??
Old 08-04-2011, 06:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think you mean mean me sojourner, but I had on the white board. "I would rather be by myself in the corner with a goldfish and a puppy and be happy," on my board.

One time I had to write I am mentally healthy one in this situation up there

I had another quote I learned here for a bit to. "I am not where I want to be, but I am sure glad I am not where I was."

Right now I am latching onto sayings and I am going with whatever works. My coworkers are amused and like a lot of the sayings I am learning too. Sharing them helps.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I agree, sharing them helps! If anyone is looking for some great inspirational quotes or sayings, or quotes about anything really, check out www.thinkexist.com. There are pages and pages of quotes about so many topics. I go there once a week and find a quote to sort of "live by" for the week, and it helps me stay focused on my own recovery.