Amy Winehouse

Old 07-23-2011, 04:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Amy Winehouse

I am so saddened by this death. When I saw the headline online, I gasped out loud. This hits so close to home. I am horrified and humbled. I am not shocked by her death, but there's this awful feeling that comes when hope is extinguished. When one more person doesn't make it. I pray for all our ALOs. I pray they find their way out of the hell of addiction before it takes their lives. And I pray that we... family, friends, fans... can always remember to reach for compassion.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Unhappy

Yeah, she was the newest version of Janis Joplin. It's too bad that she did not have some kind of forced intervention imposed when it was so obvious she needed help. That 's what probably saved Britney Spears life.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I just heard about this and it made me so very sad. I was really pulling for her but I knew that this was a real possibility. That doesn't make it any easier.

I know that her death makes me also grieve for all of the people affected by this horrible disease.....
Old 07-24-2011, 01:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Another young celebrity dies today. Linking yet one more face to the fatal disease of addiction. So many families suffer.
My heart is heavy with the reminder (I lost my young son, also a musician, a year ago.)
Fame, family and finances, are no match against addiction. I grieve for this young women I did not know, I grieve for my son and all who succumb.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Amy Winehouse . 5 times Grammy award winner. Full of Talents. It is so sad and humbling.

We pray for her soul to be in rest.

Alcohol , Nicotine and all other addiction drugs are the biggest enemies of mankind.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

It's too bad that she did not have some kind of forced intervention imposed when it was so obvious she needed help. That 's what probably saved Britney Spears life.
I appreciate your sentiments, however, 'forced intervention' does NOT work unless the person themselves are ready.

Amy had several 'forced interventions' but her 'demons' were just too strong and she never stayed long enough to work to find the 'source' of her addiction.

At least she is now free of her demons and can sing to her hearts content now with the angels.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 07-24-2011, 05:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I too am saddened by the loss of a young woman with so much potential for life. My heart and prayers go out for all who loved her. May her death be seen for the tragedy it is and perhaps save at least one other person who is on that same path.

Rest in peace, Amy, you suffer no more.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
The sun still shines

Rabbi Shais Taub: Was the World Powerless to Stop Amy Winehouse?

I feel sick that yet another life has been taken. I found the above commentary insightful.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My daughter's former heroin pals ( musicians and wannabes) glorified the 27 Club ( Hendrix, Joplin, Morrison, Cobain and many others).

In some warped way they seemed to think that when they died by OD, at 27, they would share in the celebrity status, too.

Many of them did not make it to 27. Time will tell for the rest.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sunshine~

Thank you for sharing the link to the good Rabbi's words. His words were amazingly powerful.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Drug Addiction Has No Mercy

RIP Amy
Old 07-25-2011, 10:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

In her song, "Rehab," Amy also sang, "I don't ever wanna drink again, I just ooh I just need a friend."
Old 07-25-2011, 11:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

artEEEST

Originally Posted by outtolunch View Post
My daughter's former heroin pals ( musicians and wannabes) glorified the 27 Club ( Hendrix, Joplin, Morrison, Cobain and many others).

In some warped way they seemed to think that when they died by OD, at 27, they would share in the celebrity status, too.

Many of them did not make it to 27. Time will tell for the rest.
Ah yes the "arTEEEST", I know someone who wanted to be a rock star and lived the muscian lifestyle not because they had to but knowing the person they really wanted to live the life. And since they like to write as well I'd venture to say they did it for something to write about.

They also went through cocaine, crack and what ever else phase. Had gray hair by his late 20s. His ex: a co wanna be has been known to have few too many, over a decade later, to this day, along with other fellow band member wanna bes.

It's almost like it's a mandatory dues they pay to become a "true" rock star. A right of passage-you must have gone through a drug phase. How can you be a super star if you can't tell the world how you beat your addictions or are still battling them in song and interviews. Sorta like a rock star's Munchausen By Proxy. It's warped but when you get false idol worship this stuff can happen.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunshine2 View Post
Rabbi Shais Taub: Was the World Powerless to Stop Amy Winehouse?

I feel sick that yet another life has been taken. I found the above commentary insightful.
Thank you so much for sharing that link. POWERFUL words. There was a lot of comfort for me in that article. Thank you.

I am saddened that the life of a beautiful and talented soul was lost yet again to this disease. But I know that there was a whole lot of love for her....but every single one of us here know in our hearts that love does not cure addiction and never will. We can't force a person into sobriety. We can't love a person into sobriety. Only something greater than ourselves, whatever that may be for each individual, has the power to get them sober. In Amy's case, a whole world of love from fans and family couldn't save her.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 07-26-2011, 08:58 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Wow, reading that article from the Rabbi was very powerful and moving.