Out Of Control Family Member.....

Old 07-19-2011, 08:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Out Of Control Family Member.....

I'm in recovery myself but have a problem with a cousin. He is almost 40 has been in & out of prison since 18 and is a heroin addict. The heroin doesn't have the same effect on him as it does most people. It seems to speed him up and give him lots of energy. He seems to be up to his usual tricks when he runs out of money. He robs the drug spots so he can get the dope. The police have information that the drug dealers want to kill him now. He is homeless yet wants to live with my 89 year old grandmother. She believes he just needs to find a good women and job to straighten him out. The thing is he has over 12 felony convictions & when he is using heroin he is a danger to society. I am even scared of him. What are you suppose to do when the addict is so far gone he has no desire to ever change?
Old 07-19-2011, 09:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There is nothing that you can do for the addict who has no desire to change. But I am concerned for the welfare of your 89 year old grandmother! He may want to live with her but I hope that family members assist her in realizing that this may not be in her best interest.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 07-19-2011, 09:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

(((Justfor1))) - I'm sorry you're dealing with this, and I, too, worry about your grandmother's safety.

I had 2 uncles and several of their kids deep into heroin and other addictions. They always stayed at g'ma's house in between prison and other stuff. She's tiny, but has had to stand up to the dealers in the past.

I probably would have been a nervous wreck, knowing what she's put up with, but she's a stubborn lady (it runs in the family) at 93, and does what she wants to. She lives on the other coast, so it's not like I can really do anything about it. As of now, everyone is clean, so at least I don't worry about her fending off the dealers any more.

Mega prayers heading to you and your family.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 07-19-2011, 11:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kindeyes View Post
There is nothing that you can do for the addict who has no desire to change. But I am concerned for the welfare of your 89 year old grandmother! He may want to live with her but I hope that family members assist her in realizing that this may not be in her best interest.

gentle hugs
ke
This is exactly what I was thinking when I read the post.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Impurrfect, I guess you know what I'm talking about. I cant picture my grandmother standing up to drug dealers. I don't think she realizes how serious my cousin is in trouble. My cousin has never stolen from her but he thinks it's okay to rob the local drug dealers. He knows that the dealers will not call the police. Obviously this is very dangerous. Prison never really helped because he just used drugs and made homemade booze while incarcerated. He has a "prison mentality" even when he is clean.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You can give grandma the facts, make the facts relevant and let her decide. You have no more control over her than you do him.