Do I Tell?

Old 06-15-2011, 12:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Do I Tell?

My best friend's husband has been clean for over 10 years. I just found out he has started taking prescription pain pills again. She doesn't know.

He's also my boss! What do I do?
Old 06-15-2011, 12:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I thought at first too none of my business. But if I don't say anything to him am I then enabling him? What about loyalty to a friend?
Old 06-15-2011, 01:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

what a horrid place this must be for you ~

Does your boss/bestfriend's husband KNOW that you know?

If so that makes it even more difficult!!

Everyone kept the "real" truth about the hard core stuff my exah was doing from me and I wish they wouldn't have. BUT to be honest - who know's if I would have been in a place to believe them either - In telling her - you risk the chance of losing your friend.

I guess there is really no simple yes or no answer - this would probably be one of those things that may require much prayer meditation and seeking guidance from your HP - maybe asking to direction to know what to do and for the opportunity to do - if it is to talk to your friend - or maybe is it to let your boss know that you are aware of his relapse and your feelings oh how it affects your relationship with your work & with your best friend/his wife.

Prepare yourself tho -just from my experience, you stand a chance to lose a job and a best friend - addiction has no loyalities and allows no one to have any when it comes knocking at their door.

PINK HUGS,
Rita
Old 06-15-2011, 01:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's a difficult and sticky situation to be in.

Personally it would be hard for me to keep that from a best friend, but it also might damage the relationship with her.

Addiction is so ugly, and if he's actively using, he's liable to lie, manipulate, and make you look like the enemy.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You are between a rock and a hard place on this one. Personally I would remain silent. It's all going to come out in the wash. How bad to you need this job? If it is your bread and butter I would not even admit to knowing to my friend when she does find out.

MsPink is correct when she says addiction has no loyalities. Guess you get to sit back and watch the truth unfold. Being there for your friend is all you can do, but I would not disclose that I ever knew, because then she will doubt your loyalty to her. You can still be a great friend by listening. best of luck to you
Old 06-15-2011, 01:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
totfit

If you want to mention something to him about it that is one thing. I would not get in the middle however by telling her. If he doesn't quickly quell the issue, she will know soon enough. It is a tough spot to be in I am sure.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wow!!! That is a hard one.

I agree with MsPink that I really wish someone had told me the truth about my ah. There were plenty of people he worked with that probably knew. And I still wonder now who does & doesn't know.

Is there any way of making the information available to her without it necessarily linking to you? That way it is up to her what to do with it and you aren't in danger of losing job or friend.