Moving Forward

Old 06-13-2011, 06:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Moving Forward

Moving Forward (June 11 from the Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie

Much as we would like, we cannot bring everyone with us on this journey called recovery. We are not being disloyal by allowing ourselves to move forward. We don't have to wait for those we love to decide to change as well.

Sometimes we need to give ourselves permission to grow, even though the people we love are not ready to change. We may even need to leave people behind in their dysfunction or suffering because we cannot recover for them. We don't need to suffer with them.

It doesn't help.

It doesn't help for us to stay stuck just because someone we love is stuck. The potential for helping others is far greater when we detach, work on ourselves, and stop trying to force others to change with us.

Changing ourselves, allowing ourselves to grow while others seek their own path, is how we have the most beneficial impact on people we love. We're accountable for ourselves. They're accountable for themselves. We let them go, and let ourselves grow.

Today, I will affirm that it is my right to grow and change even though someone I love may not be growing and changing alongside me.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

When I read this on Saturday morning, I broke into tears. It made me cry because it was like I was being given permission to move forward. It felt like my HP was speaking to me through these words and telling me......it's ok.......there is nothing more you can do for your son......let him go.

This passage out of The Language of Letting Go was so very powerful, I wanted to share it.

It is very hard to acknowledge and accept that I am moving foward and my son is very stuck in his addiction and it is progressing.

I know that, in order to survive, I must move forward in my own recovery and leave him to be accountable for his life. I feel as though I needed permission......to be told.....it's ok. This passage did this for me.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 06-13-2011, 06:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing. This touched me because it made me think of my relationship with my mom. Probably, a lot of my life I was waiting for her situation to get better before I could be happy. This is one of those acceptance things.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It is too easy to get hung up on thinking we shouldn't move forward when others aren't. I'm glad you shared this particular reading. Thank you!
Old 06-13-2011, 07:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

KindEyes, thank you for sharing this. I really needed to read this. I know how difficult it is to let go of my husband and I can't imagine how hard it would be if it was one of my sons. I never lose sight of what my mother in law must have gone through with this son of hers that she loved so much. She worked an Alanon program so I hope that she would understand if she were still alive.

Where I am struggling as a mate is with all of his promises and new attention to counseling and going to meetings (still not working a program though) that he is making. If he were my son I would continue a relationship with him. As a husband....not so much. I just don't trust him at this point.

It's just so hard. Thanks again for posting this!
Old 06-13-2011, 09:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you- that was really an inspiring quote. Now if I could drill that into my own brain and realize I cannot suffer along with my husband anymore.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Today, I will affirm that it is my right to grow and change even though someone I love may not be growing and changing alongside me.
Thank you for this today, Kindeyes. It makes me appreciate how far I have come and how wonderful my life is today. Yes, I still carry the sadness of my son's addiction but it doesn't weigh me down anymore. The load gets lifted every day when I say a prayer and give his care to God.

If I had not moved on with my own recovery and life, I would be still stuck in that terrible place of fear where I lived for far too long...and my son would still be doing what he's doing. I chose not to go down with the ship, grabbed the lifeboat called Recovery and never looked back.

And it's okay that I moved forward. Just need to hear it once in a while to remember.

Hugs and Thank You.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Yankee

KE,

I too thank you for posting this. Sometimes we do indeed need that validation that it is ok to move on in our recovery when others are suffering, and that we can do this without the guilt that we used to burden ourselves with....or at least I burdened myself with.

((((((hugs to you girl))))))
Old 06-15-2011, 02:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

it is ok.... we r ok.. & hopefully our sons will b ok.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hope213 View Post
it is ok.... we r ok.. & hopefully our sons will b ok.
amen
Old 06-15-2011, 02:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MissTara View Post
KE,

I too thank you for posting this. Sometimes we do indeed need that validation that it is ok to move on in our recovery when others are suffering, and that we can do this without the guilt that we used to burden ourselves with....or at least I burdened myself with.

((((((hugs to you girl))))))
MissTara
I think we have all burdened ourselves with guilt. I have a white board on my refridgerator. There are three words written on it: Fear Guilt Pity

These three emotions are warning signals to me when speaking with my AS. When he begins to try to amplify these emotions in me, I know that I am being emotionally manipulated. Having those three words written on my white board remind me that they are three very self destructive emotions that I need to keep in check!

Validation is important and I think it is one very good reason that SR is so wonderful. When in the midst of chaos it is very difficult to see or think straight. A little validation goes a long way!

And hugs right back at you!!!!
ke