AH just left for first NA meeting

Old 06-12-2011, 04:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AH just left for first NA meeting

I could tell he was dreading going to his first meeting, but his counselor told him he needs to go. I want to ask him all about it later, but I should probably just let him guide the conversation. What do you think?

One thing I've learned from these boards is that addicts are responsible for their actions and choices. I have only offered my support and am trying not to put any extra pressure on him. I know what he has to do, but I can't do it for him. For now I will give him time with his recovery, but I did let him know what my expectations are for my future and my kids.

Anyone care to share their experiences after your significant other attended their first couple of meetings?

Thanks - C
Old 06-12-2011, 05:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

the best thing that I ever did was find Naranon at the same time that my husband started NA. I would have felt really left out if I had not found/started my own program. One night a week we went together to the same place - although into different rooms. It was one of the better times of our relationship. I would really recommend it.

It's hard to know what to do or to say....but a really wise woman in Naranon once told me that I was in a very unreasonable situation....I needed to do whatevery it was to take care of me.

Glad that he is in counseling and going to a meeting. I would never have been able to figure any of this out had I not found meetings of my own.

Hope you stick around ....this is a great forum!
Old 06-12-2011, 05:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

I kept it simple.."How did it go?" If he said, ok, I just left it at that. Did not interogate him. It was his meeting, his addiction, his problem.

My suggestion? Let him work through this at his own pace, he will share what he wants to share.

Take care,
Old 06-12-2011, 08:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Agree with dollydo - just be low-key.

The suggestion about Naranon is great - or Alanon if there isn't Naranon where you live. I am lucky enough to have Naranon available & it has helped so much. Keeps me from cross-examining my son about his recovery - of course I care, but it is his recovery after all- and gives me a place to share and to learn from others.