SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Substance Abusers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/)
-   -   Tools (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/229025-tools.html)

booksnlattes 06-15-2011 08:41 AM

Still thinking about this post! Tools are critical, are they not?? Anything that puts the focus on us and our recovery.

I went to the doc this morning for the first time in about 5 years. I don't need to tell anyone how much we neglect taking care of ourselves while in the "crazy place" with our addicts. I'm ready to take care of myself, now. I need to lose a lot of weight and start "feeling" my feelings instead of "stuffing" them with food.

So my new summer project involves creating a binder filled with family-friendly recipes/meal ideas. I want to try a couple new recipes every week. The kids (teens) know about the project, and they're excited to have "voting" nights at the dinner table. :-) I'm revamping some old recipes to be more healthful, and I'm searching high and low on the internet for new recipes to try.

I really like cooking, but it was the last thing I wanted to think about when the house was constantly in crisis. Dinners were crap. Pizza. Carry-out. Anything quick, easy and less than healthy. Now that I've learned how to set boundaries and control what happens in my house, life is better. So I want to start cooking again!

Planning meals again... experimenting with recipes... working on a family meal book... This is one of my new tools to stay in recovery and start thinking about myself... and the health of my household, too.

I hope this thread keeps going. :-)

somberheart 06-15-2011 10:55 PM

Ive picked up a lot of "tools" I guess you could say since trying to recover from the mess my husband and I made ( I say "I" because I did play a roll in this mess, I acknowledge now that I am codependent)

First off, Sober Recovery is a huge tool for me. Even if I don't post, just reading the posts and the reminders that I am not alone, helps.

Secondly, reading. Taking suggestions from others on this site and purchased Codependent No More. (Im not finished yet, but WOW...eyeopener!!)

Third. I find myself saying "YES" to the invites to friends BBQ's and/or meeting with the girls for dinner or a movie. And note, I am not saying YES because I feel obligated. I am saying YES because I really want to spend time with these people! They make me feel normal again! They love me BACK! And that feels so good!

Fourth (this might sound a little goofy) -- Couponing! I'm on a super tight budget, especially with the AH in Rehab again and there is no chance of intercepting a paycheck (since there isn't one) so I'm learning to master the science of Coupons, and I've been saving quite a bit.

I hope you can add some of these, or suggest any of your own. I don't own an Iphone or a Kindle, so these are some of my less electronic ways of spending my time, and using tools to get my mind off of my AH.

NoGround 07-24-2011 09:16 AM

Resurrecting this thread from about a month ago for those who weren't here then, I have a deck of Wisdom Cards by Louise Hay that a friend gave to me. Here are two of the affirmations that I especially like:

"I cannot learn other people's lessons for them. They must do the work themselves, and they will do it when they are ready."

and

"I allow others to be themselves."

LifeRecovery 07-24-2011 11:22 AM

What a great idea for a post.

I actually went to the craft store and bought two old fashioned tool boxes. I then bought kids "fake" tools. One box is for the "tools" I had prior to recovery, the second box is for the tools I have now that I am in recovery. Each tool is labeled with a skill/tool that I now poessess and this list is going to help me to add some to that box. I have it displayed (not for the general public) but in a place that I get to see on a daily basis.

Thanks for this wonderful reminder.

artist83 07-24-2011 10:07 PM

Just downloaded Codependent No More and have been reading it on my Android/iPod. I'm already feeling better and I've only read the first chapter.