friendship help with recovering opiate addict

Old 06-01-2011, 08:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

friendship help with recovering opiate addict

My close friend is recovering from heroin along with a plethora of other drugs and I'm having a difficult time maintaining the close bond we've had for 10 years because I'm basically not sure if I'm doing the right things as a friend. We dated like ten years ago but have remained very close. I guess I'm just looking for some direction on some things to, and not to do when interracting with a recovering drug addict. Thanks!
Old 06-01-2011, 08:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The only thing that has ever helped me when dealing with people with addiction issues is to help myself. I love Al Anon. NA also has a program for the loved ones of addicts called Narc Anon. My thoughts are with you.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

^^^totally agree

my NA/A was out of control, but in hiding..and hiding it from me too....life for him SUCKED but i had AL ANON to help me through, and stop some of my codepency issues also....of course i made that choice to not let it get further but still...i cared...but detached was all i can do...until HE SEES HIS OWN LIGHT...

NAR ANON and AL ANON is so good for the soul...open your heart and mind, and it will work if you work the program....so much wisdom....
Old 06-01-2011, 08:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I recently had a conversation similar to this with my boyfriend, he too is a heroin addict just entering deotx ready to (try) to start his recovery process again. I told him I was curious about what/if there was anything I could do to help him, I know that goes against the detaching thing, but I was just unsure about it since I myself am not a addict.

He simply answered "I've got to do this for myself, BY MYSELF." He also asked that I try to stay as positive as I can in this situation and just be there to listen to him.

So just try and stay positive, be a listening ear and treat him like any of your other friends that don't have addiction issues.

I'm just starting this journey too so my advice may be totally wrong or completely off from what you were looking for, but I wish you luck! And your friend is in my thoughts during his recovery.