Expectations and Reality

Old 05-26-2011, 04:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Expectations and Reality

From The Daily Motivator by Ralph Marsden

Expectations and reality

Reality will not always live up to your expectations. Yet your expectations always have an influence on the way you live your reality.

Your expectations do not magically transport you to the destination of your choice. However, those expectations can indeed provide you with a clear and realistic path to travel.

Expectations do not change the world around you. Rather, they illuminate certain specific and highly useful portions of your world.

Positive expectations enable you to see the way forward. And they keep you motivated as you do the work necessary to travel that path.

Reality is what it is, and conditions are what they are. What you expect of yourself and what you expect for yourself will strongly influence what you make of your reality.

Carry the very best of expectations with you at all times. And you’ll be showing yourself how to make life truly great.

— Ralph Marston
Old 05-26-2011, 04:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I remember early in recovery hearing about how expectations will drag us down every time, about how disappointed in life we will be if we rely on expectations.

But time taught me that this is true only when I used "expectations" to try to control others or outcomes, when I used them to enforce "my" rules. I learned that nothing gives me the power to control anyone or anything beyond myself.

But, like this reading says today, I can have "expectations" of myself, a set of values that will see me far, my own code of conduct that will keep me balanced, and my own hope for a brighter tomorrow. I know that if I stay diligent on my good path of recovery, I can "expect" to see results in the quality of my life. I know that is true because hindsight tells me so.

Positive expectations can motivate me forward and shine light on my path.

Hugs
Old 05-26-2011, 05:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Yankee

Thank you for this post Ann! I dont know how to do the whole quote thing in these replys but this sentence you posted here is going to go on my computer at work so i can see it everyday. Much love...

**Reality is what it is, and conditions are what they are. What you expect of yourself and what you expect for yourself will strongly influence what you make of your reality.**
Old 05-26-2011, 05:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

IMO, expectations are BAD.
GOALS are good.

Goal according to dictionary.com means, "the result of or achievement toward which effort is aimed"; and expectation is, " the act or state of looking forward or anticipating".

I must have been in a dream world in my earlier life as a parent.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Yankee

I think (expectations) or as defined *the act or state of looking forward or anticipating* things of myself is not a bad thing, but a good thing. I expect myself to be a kind, humble, honest human being. Now I do think that expectations of other things in life might not be such a good thing. For example....If I play the lottery everyday expecting to win....well that's not a healthy way to think. =)