Revia?

Old 05-19-2011, 11:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Revia?

First of all, Thank You for the warm welcome. It feels good to have an online group to share with, along with people irl.

Last night was another Family Group Meeting. MY son is doing well. Some of the novelty of being in rehab has worn off, but he recognizes that and doesn't feel any different about wanting to continue to work hard. He likes the program. LOVES his counselors. Most of them addicts themselves which he says makes them much more relateable to.

He said they attended an outside NA meeting where the speaker was a recovering heroin addict whose story mimicked my son's to a "T" and he felt a huge connection to him and was inspired by his story. The speaker has 4 1/2 yrs clean time, not sure if that is enough to warrant sponsoring my son, but my son has lots of time to think about that before he has to make any decisions. He said it felt good to know that there are people out there who have fought this and are winning....

His lead counselor spoke to him earlier that day about a drug called Revia that is typically used for alcoholics but has proven effective for opioid abuse as well. Brian told her he will use any tool he can in his recovery and is all for it. We agreed as well. I hadn't heard of this drug before and did some googling. What I'm looking for is personal experiences of yours or people you know. Anyone familiar with this?
Old 05-19-2011, 01:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My daughter was on it for about 6 months before she choose to relapse. It seemed to help her produce endorphins again, but it doesn't stop cravings or change stinkin' thinkin'.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Still Standing

I'm happy to hear that things are going so well for your son in rehab. I've never heard of Revia, though. I hope that it works for your son. How long did you say that your son will be there? I can't remember if you said. I just know that the longer, the better. My son had all of those good things going on & was doing so good, but his rehab was only for 30 days & that's just not near long enough to make a difference. Anyway, I hope things continue to go so well for your son & for you.