Been a while

Old 05-19-2011, 09:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Been a while

Hello Friends, Even though I don't post often, I do read and continue to get good insight from you all. Last time I started a thread my RAD was doing very well. And so was I. (Nov 2010) Lately I have noticed that I have slipped back into enabling & taking on responsibities that do NOT belong to me. It has gotten so bad that it is affecting my health. I still go to meetings, I still read my literature, but somewhere along the line I became complacent. Even though I've been in the rooms for many a year, I have not had a sponsor for far too many years. This week, I decided I NEEDED to get back on track for myself. I now have a sponsor and am looking forward to working the program I wish my RAD would work .

It's interesting that when our loved ones get clean, we think WOW the nightmares over. From personal experience that may not be so, as my RAD is still in recovery however her behaviors have slide back to self-centeredness. And mine into codieness.

I am ever grateful to all of you, because each of you help me in your own way.

Hugs,
Chris
Old 05-19-2011, 10:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey there! I'm planning on coming up your way sometime this summer

My daughter is about a year and a half in recovery. I didn't get to experience complacency because a few family members were quite eager to fill the crazy void. In a round about way I can thank them for keeping me on my toes, though I still want to smack them all upside the head

About two weeks ago, someone asked another here why they're still here, given that their loved one was in recovery. My first thought was service work but the truth is, for me, I'll slip in a heartbeat if I don't stay glued at the hip with all my recovery resources. My codie behaviors/relationships extend beyond my daughter to varying degrees. I'm getting stronger but sometimes still have spaghetti legs.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

=Chino;2973685Hey there! I'm planning on coming up your way sometime this summer

but the truth is, for me, I'll slip in a heartbeat if I don't stay glued at the hip with all my recovery resources.

Chino, I hope you will look me up when you are in my area.

You are absolutedly on target about slipping in a heartbeat. I seem to let the little things go, and BAM I'm right back into craziness.

It's is so good to know I'm not alone.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hey Chris!!!

Glad you stopped in.

It does seem that we need to be as vigilent about our own recovery as addicts about their own.....yeesh!

Take good care, HG
Old 05-19-2011, 11:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks HG! Yep there is no down time for me or else I could be in a slippery slide.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

(((Chris))) - good to see you!! I do, honestly, believe that it's been harder to work my codie recovery than the addiction one. I still slip, but I'm better at realizing it (though sometimes I have to be TOLD "um, aren't you being a bit codie?!?!"), so I'm grateful for all the people here who get it

Love, hugs, and prayers,

Amy
Old 05-19-2011, 06:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Amy, As I've told you before, I hope one day my RAD will grow up like you. It's you & the other recovery addicts that give me hope for my RAD. It's you & all of the other recovering codies that give me hope for me
Old 05-20-2011, 09:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

(((Chris))) - I didn't "grow up" until I was in my 40's, but the good Lord willing, I still have a lot of life ahead of me to make up for lost time

I know, without a doubt, I wouldn't be where I am today, if it weren't for the great people here.

Love, hugs, and prayers,

Amy
Old 05-20-2011, 09:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Complacency is what throws me too, every time.

I too need to stay vigilant and coming here every day helps me keep my recovery batteries charged.

As long as my program is working in my life, my life is working just fine.

Hugs
Old 05-22-2011, 11:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Amy, Gosh hope I don't have to wait til she's 40 to get it figured out. (not that its too far ahead)

Ann, It is good to know that someone as grounded and as sure of her own recovery as you could have set backs, too. Makes me feel I can do this.

Thank God for my program, (new) sponsor, meetings and this wonderful site. I remain a "work in progress".

Love,
Chris