Son has been clean for 1 year now

Old 04-29-2011, 06:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Son has been clean for 1 year now

Hello to all of my old friends, and the newcomers to Sober-Recovery. I haven't been on this site for a couple of months. I'm very proud to say that my son Joseph has 1 year clean this May. I am finally starting to heal from the trauma. Those who know me here, know that I was so devastated over my son using drugs, that I lost to much weight, didn't eat or sleep for a few years, and lost alot of my long healthy hair. Looking back in hindsite, I was very sick and broken down. I was afraid my only child would die, or be a junkie. I ran ragged trying to change him, it didn't work. Only he could do that, and I wasn't willing to let go. He's my boy and I love him.

It took a long time for me to bounce back. I am now eating and sleeping well, because I know that my son is alright. It's been 2 months since my hair stopped falling out. My son is doing remarkable. He is working a full time job. He has become so serene and peaceful. I used to be frightened when I saw his number in my phone. Now I hear an intelligent growing young man. I am so grateful to have my boy back. Thank you to all of my friends and to everyone who comforted me, and walked me through those devastating times. I prayed and prayed, and still pray the rosary every day. Not only for my son, but for every addict who suffers with addiction.
One day at a time people. And just for today, all is well here. I wish the same for you.

I myself will have 7 years clean of Vicodins in the end of May.
Time flies. It feels so good to be free.
I wish every addict both using and in recovery strength and peace to do the next right thing. Never let your guard down. Addiction is like a snake that's always right there. It's in the grass where you can't even see it, and it's waiting to strike. Never think your cured, no matter how many years you are clean. Because it's always there. The longer your clean the easier it gets, but it's always a thought. Stay Strong everyone. Your always in my prayers. Thank You again for all of the Love,Support, and Encouragement that I have recieved here. GOD BLESS YOU ALL.

Love and Peace to all of you.

Old 04-29-2011, 06:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for checking in with the good news. Thank you for always projecting a positive outlook.

Back when, I got a nasty case of Shingles. MD was very suprised to see it in someone my age and speculated that I must be under tremendeous stress. That was an understatement, for sure.

My public health note of the year is for all to consider getting the Shingles vaccination. The pain is out of this world and can lead to permanent disfigurement, depending on where it settles.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by outtolunch View Post
Thanks for checking in with the good news. Thank you for always projecting a positive outlook.

Back when, I got a nasty case of Shingles. MD was very suprised to see it in someone my age and speculated that I must be under tremendeous stress. That was an understatement, for sure.

My public health note of the year is for all to consider getting the Shingles vaccination. The pain is out of this world and can lead to permanent disfigurement, depending on where it settles.

I sure hope you feel better. Take care of yourself. From what I understand shingles is much like the varicella virus, which is Chicken pox, I think? I know a few people who suffered great pain with shingles. My sister being one of them. I don't know what the treatment is, but I'm thinking if it's a virus, you just have to wait for it to run its course. I will say a prayer for your quick recovery. Thanks for stopping by. Hug
Old 04-29-2011, 07:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm fine now. This was a few years ago when my daughter was a raging addict and I was killing myself trying to save her from herself.

It's a virus, son of chicken pox. They prescribed me oxys for the pain. I tore that script up, convinced I was going to be the next addict.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Angelique,

I am just so very happy for you, and for your son!

it is so good to see your pretty face again, and hear your heartfelt message.

hugs
chicory
Old 04-29-2011, 10:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

YEA!!
Old 04-29-2011, 10:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

(((Angelic))) thanks for dropping in with the great news!! I pray that both of you continue to work recovery, and am glad to hear you are healthier.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 04-29-2011, 11:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
The sun still shines

This is wonderful news! I was just wondering the other day where you are. It is so good to hear success stories. It gives all of us hope.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Hi Angelic, it's so good to see you and I always love happy stories.

It's amazing how much our codependency affects our health, I too remember the days of always feeling broken and sad and how that left me wide open for stress caused illness.

I'm so glad your boy is doing well.

Thank you for being a beacon of hope here.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Angelic
Welcome back! We've missed YOU!!!! I'm so glad to hear that your son continues to do well and that you are doing better too!

gentle hugs
ke
Old 04-30-2011, 07:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Angelic,

So glad to hear that your son is doing well and that you are feeling better. You are right about how as time goes on there are still opportunities for addiction to flare back up but it does get easier.

I think that your post gives a lot of people hope and I'm really glad that you shared!
Old 04-30-2011, 10:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Angelic17! How good to hear from you - I often wondered where you went. But I can assume that were my son to find a good recovery that after a while I would slowly get away from this site as I embark on other life journeys.

How wonderful that you have your son back! Please pray for my son also while you say your rosaries as he is still in active addiction.

Thanks for sharing - Sojourner.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank You to all of you who have taken the time to reply to my post. I appreciate this so much. It makes me realize how much love I have for all of you, and how much I have missed you all. I didn't sign on for a while because I was so busy, and part of me didn't want to remember the trauma I had gone through with my son. I don't take my sons recovery for granted, because I know how cunning and sneaky addiction is. In other words, I am still troubled and worried about him. Because my brother was clean for 6 years, and then he died from an overdose of heroin. I'm trying to live in the day, and just for today my son is soooooo good. I wish every mother on this site a healing for themselves and their children. I know first hand how difficult this family disease is. It's the worst thing I have ever been through. And believe me, I've been through so much in my life. Losing my older brother to heroin 13 years ago was total devastation also. But, when it came to my only child, the pain was unreal. It was worse. There was no escaping the heartache. I was consumed. But, I never gave up on him. And I never will.

Ann... I love you....You have been a rock of strength and hope for me. You have wisdom and compassion far above and beyond so many others. You have inspired me since day 1. Thank You for being you. Your very special. Always helping me, teaching and encouraging me. Your a blessing. I appreciate you more than you know.

Kindeyes... I love you 2. You are one of the nicest, sweetest people on this site. When I came off tough because of worry and fright due to guns and drugs. You forgave me instantly. That is a sure sign that GOD holds you in the palm of his hand. He works in your life and He will work miracles with your son. I know the wait is really tough, but it's in GOD'S time. Not ours. I thought I would die while waiting for my son to clean up. I almost did. Don't let that happen to you. You are very loved by me and many others. Thank You for your love and friendship. It means alot. Please try to stay strong. I know it's really hard. I'm always here if you need a friend. <3 <3 <3

Impurfect.....You should change your name to perfect friend. You have always been here for me. Through thick and thin, and I am so grateful to you for your constant love and support. You have given me encouragement and hope through the darkest of times. You have shared your own addictions and demons and helped me to realize that there is always hope. Thank You for that. Your a perfect angel in my eyes.

Chicory... I still pray for your son to get his act together. I know how much you love that kid, but sometimes we can love our children to death. There has to be a breaking point for you. I hope you find it. Because if you don't and if nothing has changed. Then you will continue to live in the hell of his addiction. He is a grown man, and I understand a mothers love. Don't give up on him, ever. But don't let him run over you and hold you prisoner in your own home. His life is not more important than your own. It took me 28 years to realize that with my own son. GOD BLESS YOU and give you strength to stand by your son without enabling him. Hugs

Sunshine2... You are just that. A bright ray of sunshine through all of the clouds of despair. Your words are always warm and caring. It feels good to read your reply to my posts. It's nice to see that you always care. Thank You so much.

Lightseeker....Thank You for always being there for me. You have encouraged me more than you will ever know. You have shone your light on everyone on this site. I'm sure I'm not the only one who loves you here. Your a good person.

Sojourner.....As you know...I have been and probably still am in the same situation with you when it comes to our boys. I will pray for your son. I always do. Every day when I send up my rosary, I pray for every addict, whether in active addiction, or recovery. I don't know and remember every childs name, but GOD knows who they are. So not a day goes by that I don't pray for your son. Thank You for always being here for me. We can hold each other up, when we are at our lowest points. My sons recovery is hope to all of the other moms who are still watching their kids suffer and ruin their lives. My son went to 7 rehabs. I chased him for years. Dragged him out of a crack house at 3 am by his hair. Banged the door down, and could have been killed by the drug dealers in Coney Island Brooklyn N.Y. Today my son is clean and the manager of ADT alarm company. I didn't berate or critisize him, when he was using. I loved him unconditionally without enabling. He was not allowed back to live with me after he left to get high. Saying NO was so hard for me, to be honest it tore my heart out. But, I kept my word. I meant it when I said if you get high, you can't come back here. Sticking to my guns made him realize that it's time to get clean. And he did. I wish the same for your boy.

Keepinon.....I remember the hell you went through with your daughter. I prayed and prayed for that young girl to get clean. She was so young and beautiful, and it bothered me so much. I wanted to go and grab her myself. I remember the week that I started praying for her, that was the week that she went to rehab. I sure hope she is still clean and on the right track. If not, never give up on her, EVER, because there is always hope. Helping and addict, doesn't mean we have to enable them. Please let me know how your daughter is doing? I care.

Sorry this is so long, if I left anyone out, I apologize. Signing back on feels so good because of all of the love that I have recieved here. I really missed you all, and didn't realize it until just now. Your all like family to me. It's good to be with other people who totally understand the pain, without judgement. Thank You again to all of you.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Angelic17 View Post
I sure hope you feel better. Take care of yourself. From what I understand shingles is much like the varicella virus, which is Chicken pox, I think? I know a few people who suffered great pain with shingles. My sister being one of them. I don't know what the treatment is, but I'm thinking if it's a virus, you just have to wait for it to run its course. I will say a prayer for your quick recovery. Thanks for stopping by. Hug

Outtolunch, I'm happy to hear that the shingles is behind you. Yes, stress and worry does break the body down, and it's known to be a killer. I know that my son definitely took a few years off of my life. My hair and skin show it. So right now, I'm using alot of cream on my face, and keratin and biotin for my hair. I'm doing better, and I'm putting the past behind me. I'm living in the now. It's all good for today. I hope your doing well too. Love and Hugs to you.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Still Standing

Angelic,
I'm very happy for you that your son has been clean for a year & working full time. I'm also happy for you that you've been clean from Vicodin for 7 years. That's a really large accomplishment. I just wanted to congratulate you & to thank you for coming back here to share your good news. It does give so much hope to all of us who have addicted loved ones. I hope that you and your son always continue in recovery.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
it is what it is

so glad to hear from you, angelic, and celebrating you and your son's recovery with you! i loved the part about hearing a growing young man on the phone when he calls now - i so understand how the phone brings stress and bad news into our lives when a loved one is in active addiction - continue taking one day at a time - blessings
Old 04-30-2011, 07:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Was wondering what had happened to you so glad to hear your son is still doing well.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:40 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

So glad that you and your son have both found recovery and serenity. Thanks for sharing hope here.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:20 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations to you and your son, D - that's great
I was going to send you a PM, but you know what that's like LOL

Good to see you
D
Old 05-01-2011, 12:47 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by litehorse View Post
so glad to hear from you, angelic, and celebrating you and your son's recovery with you! i loved the part about hearing a growing young man on the phone when he calls now - i so understand how the phone brings stress and bad news into our lives when a loved one is in active addiction - continue taking one day at a time - blessings

Litehorse, it's so true. Every time I saw my sons name come up on my cell phone, I would tremble. I was so terrified. Any call from Florida was a horror for me. I never knew what would be behind the call. My son is clean for one year now, and believe me he was still in the Me Me Me I I I mode for the first few months. But gradually he started to become calmer, and more understanding. I was explaining to him that when my husband said no to him coming back here how much it bothered me. My sons reply was this, Mom he was 100% right. All he saw was an addicted loser, up all night, sleeping all day, or at least trying to get away with that in your house. Smoking cigarettes in and out the back door 100 times a day and night, no job, cleaning nothing. He said, Don't be upset with him, he was right all along mom. That totally amazed. My son has emotionally finally turned into a 30 year old young man. I pray every day that he stays clean. I know that an addict can slip after decades. I will never stop worrying.

Thank You so much for caring and reading my post. I will continue to sign on. I have missed every one of the people here.
Sending you all of GOD'S BLESSINGS.