My youngest sister has problems with drugs

Old 04-21-2011, 06:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My youngest sister has problems with drugs

I don't live at home anymore, I live 200 miles away from my parents, my sister, and my younger brother. Mom called me to fill me in today, my sister has been taking prescription drugs and lying about almost everything... even things that don't matter.

I'm devastated. I don't know what is the truth and what is lies. I thought she told me everything and she has been hiding so much... it's like she is a completely different person than the one I thought I knew. I have no idea WHEN this all started, so I can't even say that I really know who my sister is.

I don't know what to say, what to think, I'm completely at a loss. I hate this feeling of not knowing what to do.

There is so much more I could write, but I keep writing and deleting the same things over again, so I'm going to stop for now.

Any support/advice would be welcomed and greatly appreciated.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm kinda in the same place, my girlfriend just recently started smoking pot and popping pills. I made her promise not to take any pills and she agreed. I'm thinking she promised cause of course your liver and kidneys have to filter all that medicine and popping pills will just wear them out and kill them, I told her that and at first she was mad, but only cause of denial. Now I have to get her to stop smoking pot. Try telling your sister that, because it will kill her kidneys and liver, and worse...
Old 04-21-2011, 08:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome...loving an addict is heartbreaking..my daughter is a recovering heroin addict.The lies,broken promises.wasted potential..ARGFH..but in reality ther is no way for us to 'fix" an addict.I suggest reading the stickies at the top of this page and going to alanon.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.

The lies my son used to tell were so amazing and like you mentioned, some were lies that didn't even make any sense - had nothing to do with taking drugs, there were more like "stories" he made up about himself, his day to day activities, or the people he encountered . . . no sense at all???

You can still love your sister and be concerned for her and the rest of your family, but you can't make your sister do anything she doesn't want to do. Keep living your life, take care of yourself and if you or your family gets the opportunity to attend NarAnon or AlAnon, the face -to -face support is great.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have two things for you...

...that were given to me by another. The first, and it may take you awhile to understand this or you may get it right away-- you didn't cause this, you can't cure this, and you can't control this.

Here's the second thing, the most important thing to happen to me in my life, and possibly important for you. Keep an open mind, give it a chance, and see where it takes you:

http://www.al-anon.alateen.org/meetings/meeting.html

Good luck,

Cyranoak
Old 04-24-2011, 01:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have two things for you...

...that were given to me by another. The first, and it may take you awhile to understand this or you may get it right away-- you didn't cause this, you can't cure this, and you can't control this.

Here's the second thing, the most important thing to happen to me in my life, and possibly important for you. Keep an open mind, give it a chance, and see where it takes you:

How to find a meeting in the US/Canada/Puerto Rico

Good luck,

Cyranoak
Old 04-25-2011, 01:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

S & U,

Just wanted to welcome you to soberrecovery. This is a great site, and there will always be those who listen.