For those of you that know me: Update :]

Old 03-23-2011, 10:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Clever Yak

For those of you that know me: Update :]

Hey there! Wow it has been a LONG time since I posted on this board about what going on in my corner, but so many of you were there for me when I first came to SR, and I want you to know how it's going! I also have some great news to share with you all that have been there with me and my sister, Kirby, during our struggles...

Though it's still a ways away, my recovery is going great and I will be 2 years clean at the end of August. Cravings are minimal/rare and I love being clean! I've been able to rebuild a relationship with Kirby and hold a job, support myself and my beloved dog, Goliath, and keep a roof over my head. I am extremely thankful for what I have at the moment, and I keep growing as the days go by. I will be 20 in May, and to come from a home with a father so far into his addiction that I was pretty much non-existent in his life and with no one else to turn to, I'd say I've got a pretty good hold on things. I miss him dearly sometimes, the end of February is a hard time for me (and Kirby), but I do know I don't miss living in that dysfunction. I am still in therapy for a multitude of things, but it's coming along, and one day I will be able to overcome this sh*t. I believe that.

What I really wanted to tell you about though is that after all the struggles with my mom in family therapy and major failures, and Kirby bouncing from one foster home to another, she is finally being OFFICIALLY adopted by our original foster parents, Ken and Sue. They could not be a better fit, and we truly do love them. We owe them big time for their generosity, understanding, and kindness towards us in all our times of grief. Most of you probably didn't even know she was up for adoption (unless you check the henhouse thread often), however our advocate finally realized that our mother was never going to be a fit parent for Kirby (or me even though I wouldn't live with her now), so she was made eligible for adoption. We no longer have to associate with our mom unless we wish too, which means no more meaningless family therapy sessions which did more harm than good (those have been stopped for a while now), and no more verbal abuse. We're moving on, and I believe that things will get better form here. I am so happy for Kirby because I know how living in an uncertain environment can be for so long...it's tough to say the least.

Anyway, I just wanted to give you all a big THANK YOU for being there for me and my sister, in spirit and prayer, when we needed you most. You have supported us through this long journey, and it's finally reaching some stability and predictability. So thank you all of you adoptive-mom's out there, you have no idea how much your support has meant to Kirby and I.

Best wishes,
Jason
Old 03-23-2011, 11:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((Jay))) - thanks for posting this here. As I said, on the henhouse thread, there are going to be a whole lot of people doing a happy dance after reading this

You are doing great, (((Kirby))) is going to absolutely blossom with (((Ken and Sue))) and I couldn't be happier, for all of you. "Family" doesn't have to be the people you were born to. Being chosen to become a part of someone's family is pretty darned awesome!

Love, hugs, and prayers,

Amy
Old 03-23-2011, 11:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Clever Yak

I would have to agree with you there Amy
Old 03-23-2011, 11:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

happy dance?

D
Old 03-23-2011, 11:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was just thinking about you yesterday. I saw your name in a couple of forums and was thinking how amazing you are. You've been reaching out for help all along, actively seeking recovery, and at your age with all your circumstances... well, it just blows my mind.

Jason, your strength of character, your humility and courage, is tremendous. That is something YOU developed on your own, with a little help from some good people here and there. You own this, it's all yours.

You know how hard it's been but, from where I was sitting, it almost seemed damn near impossible. You've been raising yourself! I had to do it too, at a young age, but I did not own it the way you have.

Always believe in yourself, Jason; you have every reason to and you've given yourself a strong foundation.

Jason, I'm so happy for you and Kirby!!!
Old 03-23-2011, 11:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Jason - I have been on and off this board for a very long time now. Actually,
I've never left, but when I've done badly or relapsed which was a lot, I would
only lurk and not post. I have followed you (and Kirby) since the very beginning.

I am definitely doing a happy dance for you and Kirby. I can't express it any better then has already been expressed so I won't try. I am not suprised by your success however. I don't know if you remember, but I was very sure
all would turn out in a very good way for you, just because of who you are and your willingness to go through all the crap that you went through.

I remember you coming to this board prior to your father's death seeking help and answers then. You were so young and so mature.

This is only the beginning Jay. You have an incredible talent for photography among other things and I hope you pursue that. I think you can do absolutely anything you decide you would like to, and do it well. Your future
is really yours to make of what you wish.

I am so happy for Kirby too. That little girl (well I guess she isn't so little now, huh) deserves a stable and loving home.

Thank you for updating in the regular forum. I read Henhouse to keep up with you, Amy, TOD, nans and a few others put don't post there myself.
I love that thread!

All the best to you both. My heart is singing outloud for you tonight.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

(((((Jason)))))) I am so happy for you and (((((Kirby))))) !!!!!!!!

You have come so so far. You are an amazing young man. And not only did you reach out for help, you have allowed us to watch your blossoming!!!!!! I am humbled.

You know, I have often said that we cannot 'pick' the family we are born into, but we can in time 'pick' the family we feel we belong with, and it sounds like you and Kirby have really struck gold with (((((Ken and Sue))))). I am so happy for both of you.

I actually cried when I read your update, but ...................... they were definitely tears of JOY not sadness!!!!!!!!!

It is so good to hear from you and to hear the great news.

You keep 'trudgin' Jason, I see great things in your future!!!!!!!!

Love and hugs,
Old 03-24-2011, 03:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wow Jason that's great news. You guys deserve good things and you work hard for then everyday congratulations
Old 03-24-2011, 04:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

SpeedyJason: Something about reading your story is reading my story. I totally understand how, even though it's your bio mom, it's the worst situation for you or your sister to have been in. You've been given the gift of incredible inner strength like the author of The Glass Castle and like the man in Congress who took Sen. Edward Kennedy's place.

Thank you for sharing your story here. So what's on your life's bucket list?
Old 03-24-2011, 07:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Hey Jason, I am sure this is something you have already thought of but ............................... maybe not .............................. with your love for animals, have you thought of looking into getting the schooling to become a 'certified vet tech'? I do believe there are some legitimate places, like Phoenix School and others that you can do it or most of it on line.

Once you are certified you can get a job in a Vet's office and that just might lead to you going back to school and eventually becoming a Vet, you never know.

It is said a lot 'if the job you do is something you love, it doesn't feel like a job.'

It was just a thought sweetie since you do love being with and working with and around animals so much.

Again, you have come so far and are doing so good for you, you just make my heart smile!!!!!

Love and hugs,
Old 03-24-2011, 08:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

woo hoo! ..thanks so much for keeping us posted with good news..brightens my day!
Old 03-24-2011, 10:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

((Jason & Kirby))

Yeah!! Congrats on your clean time & congrats to Kirby on her adoptive family and congrats to that family for getting such wonderful new family members like you and Kirby!!!!!

You have NO IDEA how much I needed encouraging words today!!! (not going to hyjack your thread to go into details)

So proud FOR YOU for making the choice to allow your Higher Power to work with you & through you to guide you down the road to a healthy life away from all those horrid things you endured as a child. What strength, courage and wisdom you are using to start your Brave New Life!

Thank you so very much for the update and sharing your e, s, & h with us!

PINK HUGS,
Rita
Old 03-24-2011, 12:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm just so excited for you both, I can't sit still!!!

I remember your posts when you were with your dad. I don't want to remember that time in your life again, this is the post I want to remember from now on.

Look at you now! I can feel the strength and joy for life in your post. It's a beautiful thing. You've grown so into a blessed man worthy of all you've achieved.

Just amazing, Jason!

Keep strong and keep posting.

Blessings to you and Kirby,
Alice
Old 03-24-2011, 03:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Clever Yak

Thanks for all your posts!

Laurie - I actually hadn't thought about being a vet tech, though I had been thinking that when I get back to school that I might not go for photography anymore. Photography I think is just a hobby for me, not something I want to do full time--animals make me a lot happier. I've thought about doing something with animals, but I don't know what. I'll have to look into that. Thanks!
Old 03-24-2011, 03:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Jason, I'm so happy for you and your sister and glad that life has taken a good turn for both of you.

I am a big believer that although we cannot change our past, not one day of it, the future is all ours to live well and live happy.

Your sobriety will see you into beautiful days, Jason.

Keeping you and your family in my prayers.

Hugs
Old 03-25-2011, 06:43 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Jason,
I am so happy for you and Kirby!! You have come a long way CONGRATS on your clean time!!!!!!
Old 03-25-2011, 06:55 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Jason
You inspire me.
gentle hugs
ke
Old 03-25-2011, 01:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

(((Jay))) This adoptive Mom is so Very Proud of You. I always believed that you were an amazing young man, reaching out as you did and grasping the help you needed.

I am so very happy for both you & Kirby.

I really liked Lauries suggestion about becoming a vet tech or even a vet. I think that would suit you well.

Love & Hugs,
Chris
Old 03-25-2011, 03:31 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Heathen

So happy for you and for Kirby, J.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:38 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

(((((Jason)))) One more person so humbled by watching you grow in your journey. My grandmother used to say "he's been here before" when a young one showed such maturity and wisdom...I have always felt that way reading your posts and following your story.

What makes me particularly happy is feeling the joy and positive outlook in your post. The world is really out there for you and Kirby and I m so glad you are embracing it! All the best to both of you!