Is it possible to be addicted to a relationship?

Old 03-16-2011, 11:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is it possible to be addicted to a relationship?

My boyfriend and I are both recovering addicts. We met through recovery, although he still smokes weed. I am 1 1/2 years clean. He is the same from hard stuff but never quit weed. Anyways, sometimes I think I feel into this relationship way too quick, almost replacing my addiction with him. Is the even possible? I'm addicted to him... sounds weird. We love each other and have a good relationship, I just wish he didn't smoke weed. Ahh! Sometimes I wish could meet a man that wasn't an addict. Although I am happy with him. Anyone have any experience with codependency? Anyone form a romantic relationship through recovery? Any stories or advice?
Old 03-16-2011, 11:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((BreezX))) - I have THREE XABF's. I developed my own addiction with #1.

I can truly say, that I was addicted to them, as I was to the dope. I read every self-help book there was, including "Codependent no more", but I still thought I was the one..I could be the one he finally settled down on.

I spent as much time as I could with him, and when my mom died, I regretted not spending more time with her.

Codependency is like an addiction to the person. When we're always wondering what they're doing, or going out of our way to make them happy, not doing stuff we enjoy because it interferes, and feeling their moods are something we've done...yes this is an addiction.

The good news is, you can get recovery from codependency, too. The great people here, have helped me tremendously.

Keep reading and posting...it really does help.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 03-17-2011, 02:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
it is what it is

YES!!!you can be addicted to a relationship even to the point of ruining your life - no drugs have to be involved at all - i became involved in a a relationship that did just that - but the good news is that recovery is always an option -
Old 03-17-2011, 05:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Unfortunately many of us understand exactly what you mean. Codependence or addiction to another is very unhealthy for both people. My AS also met a woman in out patient treatment a few years ago.....together they toppled back into addiction.

You deserve congratulations for staying clean for 1-1/2 years!!! That's so great! I hope and pray that you continue your path of sobriety regardless of what your bf does.

gentle Irish hugs
ke