My sister did cocaine up until she was 6 months pregnant

Old 03-16-2011, 08:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My sister did cocaine up until she was 6 months pregnant

I was previously told that she stopped once she found out she was pregnant and now just found out through her own admission that she only stopped in October. She gave birth in December. Luckily, as far as anyone can tell the baby is healthy. My sister is in a lengthy battle with DCFS and while I was on her side previous to this, my empathy for her is waning.

I used to want her to get custody, now I'm not so sure she deserves it. In addition to the fact that she can't financially support her baby on her own, now I question her judgment.

Am I being too harsh?
Old 03-16-2011, 09:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think you are being realistic, not harsh. Using up to her 6th month shows lack of good judgement. That doesn't mean she cannot parent though. The bar for CPS parenting skills is sadly pretty low.

If she isn't using now and trying to better her situation maybe I'd be skeptical but supportive. If she is still making poor choices though (leaving the baby with strangers for example) then that can be more troubling behavior.

Not sure what to tell you or the full story of her situation but if CPS took every child away from an addict's home, or away from people who had poor finances, 1/3 of the kids in the country would be taken away

Sounds like you are seeing it clearly though. Keep a close eye on the baby's welfare and if you suspect anything then do what you have to.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Let's pray that she can care for her little one. I know some ex-addicts who are actually extremely good parents. The beautiful thing about being human is that we can change and adapt. Can she? Will she? Time will tell.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 03-17-2011, 08:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

This is a tough post to respond to for me

My beautiful loving daughter who is the best mother in the world (WHEN SOBER) used during her pregnacies - to be honest I'm not sure at what level - I believe once she found out she was pregnant for her first child she stopped ~ but the disease had progressed so much in her for the 2nd two children she was unable to do that during the 2nd & 3rd pregnancies.

She has lost custody of all 3 of her children at various times during their lives - right now she has visitation rights to the oldest 2 and lives with the youngest -

BUT that changes each times SHE relapses. It's very emotional and upsetting for those precious little ones.

Once again - SHE IS A GREAT MOM sober - not so much when using or in "relapse mode"

At the ages of 8, 5 and 3 ~ these precious little ones have already been greatly affected by this disease and her addictions. This disease is really tough on little ones - I am raising a granddaughter from another child - who suffers from this disease too. I believe what is best for the child should be the first thought for everyone! I know I'm not qualified to decide that for your sister or her child - but I'm praying for her Higher Power's best for all involved!

PINK HUGS,
Rita