Impending Doom...

Old 05-19-2011, 01:17 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=outtolunch;2973683]Is he asking for your opinion? Unsolicited advise and commentary is all about us and goes in one ear and out the other of the subject.

I learn things everyday here. Never caught that "commentary" bit before. I guess it is just a veiled control mechanism.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:06 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

At RAD's rehab, they told us to "wait for the question!" They were so emphatic about it that I started doing it right away. They kinda scared me lol.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:55 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I love the "wait for the question."

I remember my son telling me once when I was trying to "fix" his problems and make him happy...he said "Sometimes I just need to have a bad day. I don't need your help, I need to be able to work through it myself."

Imagine that, my all grown up adult son didn't need his mama to "fix" things. I wasn't offended, I was floored by the truth in what he said and I tried much harder to mind my own business and let him take care of his.

I learn every day here. Just about when I thought I'd heard it all, someone says something that jolts me to attention or melts my heart...and I learn some more.

You'll be okay Dad, it just takes a little practice and getting used to new behaviours. Before you know it, these behaviours will become your "instinctive" responses.

Hugs