Found syringes husband used help me i am scared

Old 03-03-2011, 02:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Found syringes husband used help me i am scared

Please help me,
I found a syringe cap in my bedroom, my husband is an ex-heroine addice. He was on opiates for a medical problem and i found he has been crushing the pills and shooting them. I placed the cap on a table where he would see it, he hasn't said a word to me about it, I haven't said a thing. I was trying the "I knwo what is going on but will make it not a big deal" tactict becaus other times I lost my marbles at him for doing **** like this and it made it worse. Is this the way to approach this? Will this ever change? I don't want to leave him I love him but I am scared for my health now, I know he gets them from the pharmacy and says he is a diabetic. If this couldnt harm my health I wouldn't be as devestated.
Please help me immediately I'm VERY frightened and in desperate need of advice on how to handle this. We are young in our mid 20's.
Please help me!
:-(
Sky
Old 03-03-2011, 02:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

So sorry you are here. If you found a syringe, he's most likely using again. Read, read, read here. Use protection if you are sexually active, if you choose to be sexually active after what you've found.

Heroin is I believe the if not one of the hardest drugs to get off of. Last I knew statistics were around 11% success rate. My xah's DOC was heroin, but what started it was oxy. There will be more that comes along with wiser advice. Just know you're not alone, but from here on out trust your gut. NOT him and protect yourself. Physically AND financially.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello Melodious,

Welcome to the site and I am so sorry for what brings you here. You are not alone. I am not sure how many times you have gone through this. I am also married to a heroin addict. When I met my husband he had been clean for 2 years. He managed to stay clean for about 7 years and started again. Only this time we are married and we have two children. What I believe actually started his addictive thinking again was a pretty bad accident that required opiate painkillers. What I have read in many articles and research papers is that when ex heroin addicts takes opiate pain medication it wakes up those connections again. So my husband has been trying to stop for some time now. He really is having difficulty accepting the whole giving it up to a higher power. It is very stressful and it does have a direct affect on your health. I know because it is affecting mine. I will be sending prayers your way. Remember to take care of you
Old 03-03-2011, 09:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Melodious,

Welcome to Sober Recovery. This is a terrific board, and one which you will find sympatico with.

You have asked for help, but I'm not sure what it is exactly you ARE asking. I think if you keep coming here, reading and posting, you will learn a lot. Getting some reading material by Melody Beattie, and going to Al-anon or Nar-anon meetings will also be helpful.

You said you would not be so concerned if this would not affect your health? What is it that you mean by that? Do you feel you are in physical or emotional danger? Health consequences such as communicable disease?

Has he realized that you found the syringe?
Old 03-04-2011, 12:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Welcome to SR. I am glad you found us, but sorry you had to.

I would certainly get to a Dr and get checked for any and all communicable diseases. One cannot walk into a drug store and say they are a diabetic and get syringes. One has to have a prescription from a Dr. So please get yourself checked out.

Based on what you have posted does not sound like your H is an ex addict but is still in the throes of his addiction.

What you can do for YOU is find some Naranon or AlAnon meetings. You will probably find more AlAnon at more convenient times for your schedule. Unfortunately there is nothing you can do to help him. He has to want recovery for himself. The 3 C's can work very well for you:

You didn't Cause this.

You can't Control this.

You can't Cure this.

AlAnon will help you with setting boundaries, how to detach, how to work on you, etc and give you some face to face support also.

There is a great book called "Co Dependent No More" by Melodie Beattie that has done wonders for many of us. It is available very reasonably at Amazon. Please read it with highlighter in hand. Then when you are done with it for the first time, go back and write about each thing you highlighted. The next you read it, use a different colored highlighter, lol

Check out the 'stickys' at the top of this forum and read some of the different threads. Ask questions any time, there are many on here who have been where you are or are where you are and will share what worked for them.

Please keep posting and let us know how you are doing as we do care very much.

Love and hugs,