SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Substance Abusers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/)
-   -   Geographical Detachment (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/220917-geographical-detachment.html)

Kindeyes 02-25-2011 08:22 AM

Geographical Detachment

I just got back from a ten day trip to Central America. It was refreshing and rejuvenating.

I discovered something very strange while I was gone. Being such a long distance from home allowed me a chance to "geographically detach" from everything going on at home and work. My mind became somewhat....well.....blank. And it felt ODD. Really ODD.

While my husband and I were enjoying a lovely meal at a little restaurant I expressed my concern that my mind felt "blank". I wasn't worrying or obsessing about what was going on at home or with our AS or our business or our daughter or ANYTHING. I told my DH that I thought I was going senile or something because it felt so wierd to have a blank brain. His comment "welcome to what normal people experience".

I spent the last ten days living in the moment......enjoying my beautiful surroundings.......and finding a peace and serenity so profound that I thought was my mind was deteriorating. lol

If that's what "normal" people experience, I want more. Ten days of no computer, no television, no phone.......wow. There was a total acceptance of "powerlessness" about what was happening at home and with it came such peace. Now, if only I could bottle that up and sell it!

Here I am though......back in reality. lol And many of the thoughts and concerns have returned but it's nice to have that experience as a baseline and to have something to aspire to in my daily life.

gentle hugs

MissTara 02-25-2011 10:32 AM

Kindeyes,

I am so happy that you had such a great, peaceful & serene time away. I long for some time to go somewhere beautiful and just *be*. I know you are back to reality now like you said....but I know that you packed some of *blank* mind stuff and brought it back home with you =)

keepinon 02-25-2011 11:51 AM

I used to think I needed to fill up that blank space..now I aspire to it!

jalapenolover 02-26-2011 11:03 AM

Wow! I want some of that.. good for you. Mr. Jalapeno and I are goin on a lil trip in June, I want what you had.

Kindeyes 02-26-2011 12:13 PM

jalapenolover
I hope you find it.
It feels weird in a good way.
gentle hugs

greeteachday 02-26-2011 06:05 PM

Welcome home, Kindeyes! I like how you phrased it...a baseline to aspire to...I've found that the more I get used to lack of drama, the more I crave it always. I physically shudder when people try to suck me in :)

So glad you had a wonderful opportunity to enjoy serenity and refresh your spirit.

rose 02-26-2011 06:31 PM

I think there is a word for what you experienced "RECOVERY" YA WHOO! LOOKIN GOOD ON OUR KINDEYES!

beautifulgirl 02-26-2011 08:56 PM

Wow..I want to go there, the place where there are no worries and I am at piece..even just for a day.
You are so sweet. I am happy you got to experience that for 10 days.