Alanon ROCKS!!

Old 02-12-2011, 12:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alanon ROCKS!!

I walked into Alanon.. sad, beaten, broken, etc. I even cried too, tough as I rarely do that in front of my own friends. What I found was the most amazing group of people, so willing to offer themselves to me as a total stranger. I left feeling like a member of a really cool club, people who understand me and my situation; even better than my best friend. I met a few people who came up to me after the meeting, hugged me and told me that my detachment is okay and even normal. I left with hope that my son will do HIS thing (for as long as it takes) and I am supposed to be doing what I need to do, and that is take care of myself. I find its almost easier to live day by day when I do not know everything he is doing.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I am so glad that you went, and you found all of us in a room waiting to share our ESH with you.

That's been my experience with Al Anon, no matter what city I'm in. I feel like I already know them and they already know me. We might not be the same, but we've had similar life experiences and we really understand one another.

It's good to be around others who speak our same language, who understand our fears and our pain, and understand that the best thing we can do is give our loved ones over to the care of their own Higher Power.

Big hugs
Cats
Old 02-12-2011, 05:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Indeed Alanon DOES rock! And it is waaay easier when you don't know every little thing they are doing..
Old 02-12-2011, 07:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Many of us have found soooo much relief, understanding, and even the strength to move forward from face to face Al-Anon meetings! I'm so glad you went!
Old 02-13-2011, 10:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Jalepeno..lots of people on this site are really afraid to go..what ypu did by posting this is 12 stepping..you are already giving back..
Old 02-13-2011, 05:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am sorry to hear that others might be afraid to attend Alanon. I would highly recommend it to everyone. I know we have our forum here but with 'face to face' contact, it really puts things into perspective. It just feels real (not that this forum is not) but I felt like I was hiding behind the computer screen.